Drive or registry problem? what to do?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by birdaug, Oct 30, 2008.

1. birdaug

birdaug Member

I use to put a disk in my drive and it would ask me what I wanted to open it with, now it doesn't. I have to do it myself.I have a couple of registry cleaners that I run and it seems like one of them had something to do with it. How can I get this back?
    please stay on topic
    Thank You,
    birdaug

2. onya

onya Guest

I'll try to ok?. Use system restore and go back at least two 'points'. On a personal note..why do you keep two reg cleaners? Just keep one that you're happy with and save a little HDD space.

Cheers.

3. birdaug

birdaug Member

I have restored my computer a couple of times since this happened and it never came back.
    I have about 3 reg cleaners that I use because I havn't seen just one cleaner take care of everything. I run one cleaner and then the other two and they always take care of more.
    Thank You,
    birdaug

4. onya

onya Guest

Do any of these offer to save the registry files before deletion? Can you use the reg file backup to just before your problem, to get back what you have lost? Similar to a system restore in purpose.

Any luck?

5. birdaug

birdaug Member

It's been way to long to do anything like that.
    Thanks,
    birdaug

6. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Did you try this first?
    Go to My Computer > Choose the drive in question > Right click "Properties" > Autoplay > Prompt me each time to choose an action > Apply > OK. You must do this for each file type in the dropdown box. It sounds like somehow it got changed to "Take no action" and "Do this every time for this file type".

7. birdaug

birdaug Member

Peshtigo,
    I tried your solution and it didn't work for me, but thank you as that was a very good try.

To everyone:
    I did find a fix at this address: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135

Thanks everone for your help it is greatly appreciated,
    birdaug