DRU-500a problem reading double sided discs

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by framerman, Dec 20, 2002.

1. framerman

framerman Regular member

At first, I thought I had a bad drive. But after awhile, I noticed a pattern. I had double sided dvd's (widescreen on one side and full screen on the other) that weren't being recognized by my drive. Everything else would play and I also could burn quite nicely. Just these discs were giving me problems. What I was wondering is if anyone else has this problem, I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be the dru-500. And is there anything that can be done to fix this. I can get these discs to read in the drive after quite alot of friggin around with it, but I'd rather not obviously. Is there something I can place on the disc, like a cover or something, when I put the disc in the drive?

2. SevenVII

SevenVII Member

I have same drive and they havent caused me any fits yet. I always copy the wide screen side though. And every disc I have thrown in has read. I think I have probably done 6 or 7 of double sided ones.

3. framerman

framerman Regular member

I think my drive is just a little tempermental. I was hoping everyone else had the same problem though. Misery loves company, y'know. It is a good drive, I like it. It's jsut it had some little problems that are buggin' me.

4. WIN2K

WIN2K Member

sup, i just got that drive, but i am running into different problem Prassi PrimoDVD 2.0 say it does not recognize a recorder device any of you ever seen that, or can recommend another recording software

thanks

5. framerman

framerman Regular member

6. WIN2K

WIN2K Member

does anyone know why my VIDEO_TS folder goes from 4.5gb when viewed through windows exploer to 4.8gb in the Nero software

7. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Please try to keep the posts on topic. Differences in sizes between explorer and Nero hardly falls under DRU-500a specific problems.

Anyways, to answer your question, Explorer shows gigabytes, Nero probably shows bytes. 4.5GB = 4831838208bytes

8. Outlaw7

Outlaw7 Guest

I haven't been able to get Prassi or RecordNow Max to recognize my Sony either. I use Nero for the majority of backups and things that I do, however I have .gi images that I need to burn. Has anyone gotten the Sony to work with these programs?? I have done the update on veritas website but it still doesn't work...help???

9. ripley

ripley Member

Hello there
    I have bought a Sony DRU 500A writer and cannot get the driver working with Nero 5.5,9,2 bundled
    and using the Wizard it just gives me the possibillity to check the CD button and the the 2 other choices DD CD and DVD are light grey and can't be reached.
    When I select Recorder and then Choose recorder it just gives me the option
    Image recorder and as Adapter Virtual device
    I already uninstalled Nero using Software and Uninstall Nero
    After installing Nero again, rebooted the pc still the same.
    When I choose Recorder and then Track display it asks me which drive :
    Toshiba DVD rom SD-M1212
    Sony DVD RW DRU-500A
    so he does recognizes my dvd drive, choosing the Sony it gives me :
    DVD Session
    Session 1 (4.483Nb)
    Track 01 : 0 4.590.208Kb (Data modus 1)
    Which makes sense because there's a empty (new) DVD-RW in the drive

So I'm lost here and hope you can help me out

Thanks already

gr from Holland
    Snokko

10. Outlaw7

Outlaw7 Guest

ripley,

I have since gotten the programs to work with the Sony. You have to use Nero 5.5.9.17. If you want to use RecordNow MAX you must use version 4.50. They both recognize and burn with no problems.

Good luck.

11. mnmeater

mnmeater Member

I thought I read something on this site about making sure the dru-500 was set as the primary, not the secondary when connected. Just something else to consider.