"Dummy" question about Microsoft Word

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by LJemima, Sep 6, 2008.

1. LJemima

LJemima Member

I am not knowledgable about computers. Last year I installed Microsoft Office Suite 2007 which included Word, Excell, Groove, etc...the whole enchilada. I *hate* it. It's difficult to use and takes up a whopping amount of space on my computer.

I want a no-frills, no bells-and-whistles version of Word. How far back do I need to get this? 98? 2000? I just want to pick up an old version on eBay and get this monster off my hard drive.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

i have office 2000 premium and it still does everything i need it for.ive tried office 2003 and 2007 and dont see enough of an advantage to make me want to change.

3. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

All of the office suites I have installed give you the "custom install" option. There you can choose which programs you wish to install, in your case, only ms word. That being said, I have never dealt with 2007 so that may no longer be there. Might be worth looking in to.

4. McGreg08

McGreg08 Guest

you might look at Open Office from sunsystems. It's free and does all that you need with MicroSoft Office.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I still run Microsoft Office XP Pro, which came out about 2002, I think.

I have read about programs, outside of Microsoft, that the Office Suite 2007 has messed up. I wouldn't have it on my computer.

6. McGreg08

McGreg08 Guest

7. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

I too have thought about giving Open Office a try ,but like GrandpaBW, I am running Office XP and am having no issues.