dv editing

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by powerbilt, Sep 4, 2006.

1. powerbilt

powerbilt Member

i recently purchased a minidv -canon mvx4i- and want to start editing on computer-ibm server xeon processor[3.0]. i have pinnacle studio 10.5 but cannot capture it via firewire. what am i doing wrong? Windvd grabs the vision fine thru usb2, but i cannot transfer the file.Tried adobe premiere 6 with the same result..rang adobe for support,nahdah.! to old for support with new drivers for new cameras-buy the new program, they said.Without forking out mega bucks for adobe premiere 1.5,only to find it too doesn't work for me, what am i missing, is a breakout box what i need? like pinnacle sells with studio or do i need a separate pci card to transfer it?
    Next question, what program is better to do all this? have been considering permiere 1.5 or avid's liquid pro.....
    any help would be MOST welcomed.

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

First of all, when you plug in the Firewire, does your computer recognize your camcorder? Once it's recognized, any program should capture it. Do not use your USB connection to capture.

As for capturing, like I mentioned, any program will do it fine. Most of them have enough "editing" and "fx" options to keep most beginners happy.

Pinnacle Studio is a fine program. Myself, I use Ulead Videostudio to capture.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  3. powerbilt

powerbilt Member

Thanks for the reply.at the moment all i can capture with is the usb conn. supplied with the camera-thru win dvd!I can operate the camera remotely thru pinnacle however nothing gets thru.If my intellistation has a firewire port,does this mean it might not neccessarily be mated to a capture card, hence i might need to buy an after market one like pinnacles pci card?? Why should i NOT capture thu usb?? pinnacle have a breakout box that runs thru usb. is this not good??

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

THE stadard interface for transfer of video from a miniDV camcorder is Firewire. If your PC hasn't got Firewire, you can buy a PCI card for as little as $15. The technology is standardized (IEEE1394), so any card that adheres to that standard will work, so there is no need to go for an expensive card. If you capture through USB you will end up with lower quality.
    Read this article for a basic understanding:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/transfer.php

5. powerbilt

powerbilt Member

Thanks for your reply.... i have checked out the dvc site, thanks.
    I have got a firewire conn. on my desktop-ibm intellistation z pro-only thing is i cant get the transfer happening. with pinnacle9.5 it runs the camera remotely, but no video seems to be transfered, am i missing something??

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

It should work. To rule out that there is something wrong with the Pinnacle software, try WinDV (free capture utility). If that does not work there is something wrong with your system.