DV (Firewire) Connection no good?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by tsammon, Jun 23, 2006.

1. tsammon

tsammon Member

I have a Sharp digital viewcam that I have been using to record and transfer my digital movies to dvd, using the Nero program. Suddenly, for some reason, after I re-booted my PC the other day and turned on my camera to begin capturing, my PC could no longer "see" the hardware and there is no signal going to my PC when I try to capture video. What can this possibly be? The ieee 1394 hardware is built into my PC, so no chance that that's the problem. Could it be that the wire to connect the camera to the 1394 port has somehow gone bad? What a peculiar problem!! One day it works fine and my PC can "see" the hardware with no problem, then suddenly it's not picking up anything (and yes, I made sure the connection from the camera to the ieee 1394 port is secure). Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

The firs thing is to go into the device manager and see if the port you are using has an "?" or "!" point beside it. The driver may have failed and may need to be updated. You may be able to reinstall the driver yourself. First you should right click it and remove it from your system. Then restart you machine. Your driver should already be in the registry. Let Windows update the driver (if that's the OS you are running). Give it a try and let me know the outcome.

In your reply maybe tell me what OS you are running so that I may walk you through repair, if what I told you doesn't work.

Good luck!