DV straight to DVD?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by jamal23, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jamal23

jamal23 Member

Is there a program to transfer the video from a camcorder to DVD (using an internal DVD burner) without having to capture 9 minutes at a time? Is there a way to burn the whole thing in one click?

2. wallen69

wallen69 Member

9 minutes at a time? Never heard of this. Are you using an old PC with FAT or FAT32 formatted HDD?

3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

There is no need to just capture in pieces of only 9 minutes. Wallen is right: 9 minutes happens to be 2 GB, so if you can't get further that that you have a FAT32 formatted hard drive.
    Other from that, there is no way to copy directly from tape to DVD on a PC, because capturing, encoding and burning at the same time is way beyond what a PC can handle. There are "one click programs" around that tell you they can do "direct-to-DVD" but they actually first store the movie to the hard drive before burning.

What you can do is use a standalone DVD-recorder that has a Firewire input.

4. jamal23

jamal23 Member

Okay, so the reason i can't capture the whole thing at once is because my computer is FAT32? What does that mean, and what can i do to capture the whole thing at once?

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

No, it is not your computer, it is your hard drive.
    You will have to format the hard drive to NTFS (not possible with Windows 98 or lower). The bad news is that you will loose all daa on that disk when you reformat :-(

6. wallen69

wallen69 Member

TPFKAS, actually if he has Windows XP (and maybe 2000) it is possible to convert a HDD to NTFS without formatting and loosing the data. It is not without risk but it can be done.

7. wallen69

wallen69 Member

TPFKAS, actually if he has Windows XP (and maybe 2000) it is possible to convert a HDD to NTFS without formatting and loosing the data. It is not without risk but it can be done.

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Is that right, wallen69? I didn't know that. Can you tell me how to do that? And can it then be also be done with your system drive?

9. jamal23

jamal23 Member

I just finished backing up all my files on my external hard drive, so when i reformat my computer, i won't lose any of my data. But i know how to reformat my computer, but i don't know how to reformat it to NTFS. How do i do that? And once i do that, i can capture a DV all at one time?

10. PARR

PARR Member

With WindowsXP, put the CD in and reboot with CDRom as the first boot device.

It will tell you that there is already a windows on your HD and ask if you want to repair, abort, or continue witch is ESC.

It should give you some options to format with, normally Fat32, Fat32 quick, NTFS, and NTFS quick. Choose NTFS and continue with the format as normal.

If your XP wont give you that options, there are programs such as Partition magic that will convert your drive without loosing all your files.

11. windowup

windowup Guest