dv transfer to dvd files but with poor image quality

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by fezz, Apr 21, 2007.

1. fezz

fezz Member

I am using dvd creator that came with my pc, I conected my dv camcorder with a firewire cable, started the capture, first the files go directly as mpeg files i did the editing burn the dvd disk but the quality of the movie is not the same as de minidv. How can i do all the above and keep the good quality of the minidv?

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

First, capture using the DV AVI codec.

Second, you need to use a GOOD encoder. Not the one that comes built in with your capturing software. DV video is not a very clean source so you need to encode with the highest specs you can.

You should use a bitrate calculator to determine what's the best bitrate to fill up your DVD5 or DVD9. Personally, I never go below 4KB/sec for DV. However, that will also depend on how good your encoding software is. I use ProCoder.

3. fezz

fezz Member

thanks for the tip. Are there any freeware encoder that i could use, What do you mean with " capture using the DV AVI codec" is this built in the editing software or is a small utility that can be downloaded of the net, I tried nero aswell but i got the same result as with the windvd creator.

thanks

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

I have never used DVD Creator but, with most capturing software, you have the option of capturing as a MPG or AVI file. If you choose the AVI file, it usually automatically selects the DV AVI codec.

Try downloading a trial of Ulead Video Studio (Ulead website) and you'll see what I mean.

As for a good freeware encoder, unfortunately there are none. For example, you can use Ulead VS to "encode" to DVD for you after the initial capture. It'll encode at 6 Kb/s (or 8Kb/s, I can't remember) but the result is much worse than using ProCoder at 4 Kb/s.

Maybe try to find an older version of TMPG before it became payware?

5. fezz

fezz Member

Thank you very much for the input I received, The program Ulead video studio worked really well and is very easy to use, I am considering purchasing the software. Again thank you.

[ + quote]