dvd cam with dvd rom disc comp wont read

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by StoneyNic, Nov 15, 2006.

1. StoneyNic

StoneyNic Member

Hi this is my first post i been all over this site its the best. but i cant find this answer anywhere in the forums. i have a hitachi dvd cam with the mini discs. works great with the right software for editing. but i was told that i could use a dvd ram disc so i could shot footage and transfer to the comp with out waiting to fill up the 30 mins on a dvd-r. as well as reuse the ram discs. well i got 20 mins of footage on the disc and the comp will not read it at all actual makes my comp freeze for a min. i have a pentium 4 1.6 dual procesor and 1 gig of ram i have hp light scribe dvdwriter/cd writer and a dvd rom. please help i need to atleast get this footage off this disc (MY SONS FIRST STEPS ARE ON IT).

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

i would say the reason why your pc won't read the mini disks is that the mini disk ar dvd-r format, and your dvd rom wont reed that format, at least that is why i could not read the mini disk from a camcorder, so you might se if there is a firm ware might be able to upgrade to read both formats, but from what you post your rom should read the disk you seem to have a newer system. hope this helps good luck happy burning have a nice day

3. StoneyNic

StoneyNic Member

I tryed to update the firmware and i have the latest versions. this is a fairly current comp. any other ideas?

4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

if the system froze up i would say that it will not play the disks, what editing program are you using?

5. StoneyNic

StoneyNic Member

i use mpeg video wizard. so i usually copy the disc to the hdd first then edit. but the comp cant read it and it does like freeze up for a few seconds when i try to load the dvdram. but the comp doesnt even recognize it. not to sound like an idiot but dont all dvdrw drives read ram discs. i thought they all did

6. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

no not at all verry few systems will read the ram disks