DVD Player and Dual Layer DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by putray, Dec 28, 2005.

1. putray

putray Member

I recently purchased an NEC 3550A dual layer capable dvd burner. I am hoping to burn movies using dual layer when necessary and then play them on a dvd player. I was a little discouraged to find only a couple dvd players capable of playing dual layer and they were expensive (one was an LG and another was Sony). Dual layer burned dvds, I take it, will only play on dual layer compatable dvd players - can anyone offer any specific suggestions regarding what model to consider purchasing? Are there any inexpensive models, or does this technology have to evolve in the market for a while? Thanks!

2. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

No they will play on any home set as long as ya booktype the disc to dvd rom.:>

3. littlegun

littlegun Regular member

I thought all store bought DVDs were dual layer, 8.5 gb and played in all DVD players?

4. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Yes all store bought dvds are dual layers usuually, but they are booktyped to dvd rom. Thus If ya want a dvd + to play successfully in a set top you need to booktype. This is why I dont use - r...cause ya cant booktype them. And most of the set tops I have dont like them.:>

5. putray

putray Member

I bought a portable DVD player and it plays only region 1 DVD's. It is quite handy because I can also plug it into my TV. But I borrowed a bunch of VCD format movies my friend obtained overseas and it would not play any of them. Is there a way to "booktype" them to region 1 DVD or can I do something to my portable DVD player? Or do I need to purchase another DVD player? Also, In trying to author a DVD using TMPGenc 1.6 DVD Author I did not see where I can "booktype". Is it usually a dropdown option somewhere on author software? Thanks again.

6. JVC

JVC Active member

7. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

No You have it all wrong. Booktype only changes the disc id to rom from +r. It doesnt change region setting. The only thing I can think of is rip with decrypter and make sure to set the dvd as region free. Thjat is the only way I can think of.:>

8. putray

putray Member

Aaah, so I see now ..because my Dual Layer media is DVD+R it may be necessary to change the booktype or bitsetting so it burns as DVD-ROM. Can you tell me if it is the region that makes some movies unreadable or the fact that they are VCD..or both?

9. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Well if its region issue ya setop should display a message similar to this dvd can not be played. Wrong region or something like that. I know mine does cause I d/l a region 2 dvd and this was the message displayed. If yeah have other playbavk issues it could be bad media, bad burner, or computer issues. As I always say go from easiest to figure out to hardest..lol! But most dvd r+ need to be booktyped to dvd rom. A lot of older set tops dont recognize -r or +r format. So that should narrow it down for yeah.:>

10. putray

putray Member

Yeah, the message was that the disc could not be played..since the same message appeared on 7 different VCD's I figured it was either the format of the discs and/or the region, since the portable DVD player product guide said only region 1 were recognized. I do know these discs were commercially made, not home made, all in VCD format and all from a region other than 1 :) Thanks a lot for everyone's help. As usual everyone on this site has been very helpful.