DVD Player that plays photo cds

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by terkar, Aug 21, 2005.

1. terkar

terkar Member

I am in the process of converting my old slides into a cd (Walmart) loading them on my computer, adjusting, ordering etc, then burning a new photo cd using Nero. Goal is to watch these on my 50" DLP Samsung.
    Is there any DVD Player that will play these in slide show? Or must I go the DVD Recorder route? I have TIVO so really don't need a recorder at this time.

2. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I am sure that quite a few of the newer DVD players will do this for you ... My Philips DVP642 and my LiteOn LVW-5005 (recorder) will both play photo CDs ... If you search the web you can find the Philips for around $60, while the LiteOn is a tick under $130 ...

3. terkar

terkar Member

Have tried the Samsung P241 - Panasonic S27 an expensive Sony and a Sanyo. None of them played the photo cd well. The Sanny was the best but unable to play a slide show, reverse to a previous photo, see a group of thumbnails etc. all it would do was play them one at a time each time I pressed any button and tended to freeze toward the end. I agree, you would think any new player would do this but it jus is not so. Will try the Phillips and Lite on.

Thanks

4. JVC

JVC Active member

My Pioneer 563a plays them very well. They discontinued it and replaced it with the 578a. Even for my 563a to play them, each pic has to have .jpg after the name of it. First one I tried didn't work. I read through the manual again, and saw that about the .jpg, and tried that, and it worked.
    If you read the boxes at the stores, that the dvd players are in, it should tell you if that player will play them.
    Good luck!

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... On the Philips' box it states "You have it, we play it" and it seems to play everything including picture Cds and Divx ... Really the only thing that I don't like about it is that if you try to run a DVD in reverse, it has a tendency to jump at times ...