DVD2XBOX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by dmoney993, Apr 14, 2009.

1. dmoney993

dmoney993 Member

i tried to put nba live 07 and 06 on it and it didnt work with DVD2XBOX

when i play through the cd it works fine but when i copy it to my HD everytime i try to play it.the game launches but says this disk is dirty and you are unable to play it. please clean the disk and try again

any ideas

2. Swango

Swango Member

try ftp'ing it to your pc, patching the .xbe with qwix or craxtion and ftp it back to the /games folder, overwriting the originals. Most newer games seem to need patched to play. They play fine on dvd because apparently they were made to play from disc and a dvd and a hard drive have different filing systems. This is the information I have gathered from reading the forums here. Also make sure that all files copied to the hard drive from the original disc.

3. y_ikun

y_ikun Guest

i got my xbox360 from SPAM half a year ago, very great ,almost can play all games and save money for me.
    Buy one ,you will love it!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  4. Swango

Swango Member

@dmoney993

I have figured out thru reading here at AD that if games freeze up that are copied to the hard drive but ALL the files copied ok that you need to go into the file explorer to E: cache and delete all the folders and files in there. EVERYONE of my games work now and if they freeze I just go delete those files again and then they work.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

dvd2xbox will automatically patch the default.xbe to run from the hdd .. craxtion and qwix patch it to kill the disk media checks only.. and both don't really work that well.

Clearing the cache will usually solve stubborn games, but sometimes you need to go into the dash settings and change the game region from auto to default and turn off the in game reset (the second one down.. the first one in evox doesn't seem to make any difference) .. finally if they still don't want to know you need to delete any game saves for it and also anything you find in XYZ partitions.

6. Swango

Swango Member

I have an older version of UnleashX that I had to change to autopatch=yes as it originally was set for no. I did not know about the auto to default region though, thanks for that info. So far I have not had problems since I deleted the cache. I have over 70 games on a 320gb hard drive and all play fine. Except that darn top spin/NCAA 2005 that auto updates and destroys my mod...but I can live without that game. Thanks again Varnull, I honestly have searched for solutions to that before and haven't got that info til now.

7. Swango

Swango Member

I'm sorry I must add that autopatch=yes was in my dash settings not DVD2Xbox, for anyone not knowing the difference....I don't want to confuse anyone.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Thanks for that info about unleash .. I never use it as a dash as I find evox to be more stable with settings options which seem relevant to gaming and no accessible format/delete function.
    I'm old skool xbox.. XD

you should be able to solve the ncaa thing.. after ripping it before playing delete the update.xbe file .. that has the dash update that's trashing your dash by probably modifying the fonts or audio dash files.. or you could change the dash path in the (whatever) chip bios settings to use say a different file name for the dash loader... board.xbe or anything really... or install it to E:\dash like a softmod.. something to experiment with in a bored moment maybe? I'm an X3 user.. so I have all those options.. the nice thing about evox as a dash is how easy it is to change the entire layout of the xbox by simple editing of the evox.ini file.

top spin gave me some fun as well .. trying to copy that one to the hdd will just go on and on forever overwriting everything .. my record was 1400 gigs.. I set it to copy to a partition mountpoint on my array.. and gave up after 9 hours. One of the data files.. think it's players.dat .. has no EOF marker... The NTSC region one is fine, just the pal one with the error... oddly the old hddloader app copies it fine but fails to patch the xbe properly.. my trick.. use that to copy to the hdd.. then ftp it all and use cloneXB to make an xiso all patched.. then extractXiso to bust it back up and ftp it all back into a properly named folder on the hdd .. oh yeah I'm snakey sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  9. Swango

Swango Member

Im not sure if i follow...both games are on one cd/dvd I copied that disc to the hard drive and then started the NCAA 2005 game from the hdd. Immediately it (without warning) started "live update" although it was not connected to the internet. Its been awhile now but i do not remember if the top spin tennis game showed up as a separate game. The only way I could repair (I have a soft modded box) was to use XBOXHDM 1.9 to unlock and rewrite the files as the exploit game save would not work anymore. It would just keep stating either splinter cell or james bond (I have all 3 but Mechassault disc is damaged) both would just restart the game instead of starting the linux game save. I did find a new game save called "dash updater" in my saves and deleted it but that still didnt solve the issue.

I think you are still correct in that deleting or renaming update.xbe should solve it once copied to the hard drive. Oh and Im from Ohio...it is NTSC version. I have 4 original discs of the same game... 3 have the topspin tennis and the football and 1 has just the football no tennis. Sounds like you went thru a lot to figure that one out. i quit because I locked my hdd so many times I was afraid of the security being frozen on my 320gb I didnt want to lose the drive.

10. varnull

varnull Guest

That's why I don't like softmods.. not when there are big and valuable drives involved. The exploit runs from a modified C:\fonts file which causes a buffer situation and then loads a pointer to the new dash files on E: .. so anything which updates or changes that file will trash the mod every time. (google bert and ernie exploit.. interesting if very technical)

What it sounds like with those paired games is they are a kind of demo.. a bit like the launch freebie of sega rally/jsrf .. but ripping it then looking carefully in whatever game folders it makes will show you the most likely culprits. I would stick the original 10 gig drive back in while experimenting to find where the problem file is.. update.xbe/liveupdate.xbe or possibly dashupdate.xbe are possibles, but it may actually be the default.xbe in which case it's a no go ever on a softmod as the ones from the single disk games will not likely work.. What must be happening is the update file has a later version number than your actual exploit files.. so maybe looking for the last numbered splinter cell/ndure exploit and trying that will cure it.

One thing about that disk .. it's a good error16 fixer .. that stunt of running the live update is known as the "halo 2 fix" which you have no doubt heard me suggest to try first with trashed softmods to get the dash back... then load up the exploit game again and good to go.. just make sure to leave the softmod exploit saves on the drive and keep the real exploit game disk somewhere safe and never play it. Only ever used splinter cell and halo2 pairing because back in the day it didn't make sense to me having a drive worth over £150 at danger from any random game when a chip was only another £20.. only softmods I ever did for people were always on stock hardware 1.6. Can't say I remember a last ndure exploit ever being killed by a dash update/live update tho.

All those years at llamma taught me more than most people will ever know XD

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2009
  11. Swango

Swango Member

@Varnull

Yes I actually was thinking that my M$ dash may have been older than the one on the updatedash.xbe on those games and that I should have tried to update with that disc first then used the exploit to mod. But I also am thinking that if the dash is M$ dash is restored by this game and hence making the exploit useless to softmod, how could it possibly make a difference if I updated first and then softmodded as opposed to vice versa? Once updated with the game the linux installer would not start. It would just restart the Xbox and go back to the list of game saves for whichever original disc I was using. I have 3 xboxes a 200gb a 320 and an original 8gb that has been softmodded but no important stuff on it. I have all my systems ever owned each on a different dvd because i know if I ever lose the EEPROM for 1...so Ill try to restore the original dash on the 8...update with the topspin/2005 and then each game and exploit. If it doesnt work Im not out anything, I can always mod a new hdd with my backup XBOXHDM and just not play that game. I hope this helps others too. I searched for a month on that duel game and why it did it. Lots of people questioning but never seemed to be a definate answer.

Thanks Varnull, if I get a resolution I'll be sure to post it here.

12. Swango

Swango Member

also @ Varnull... I am going to be proper and post a question in the correct forum but I have a hardware issue relating to controllers if you could check the xbox hardware forum for my post. Thanks again.

13. varnull

varnull Guest

I bookmarked this one.. I will have a chew over this softmod/dash problem and see what I come up with before posting any more about it..

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm pondering over this one. Trouble is i honestly can't remember whether my copy of Top Spin is an original or was donated to me via the internet.
    I do know that not one of my 276 games (mostly retail discs) have ever removed any of my softmods.
    I use UnleashX on most of my xboxes, haven't got any of my Evox boxes with me, or my Top Spin disc, and don't know when i'm next home to check Top Spin.
    I've made a note of it though so will comment when i can. My Top Spin gives no problems under DVD2XBOX, but then none of my games ever have. (Other than the endless copying of data issue such as Varnull mentioned, but in my case that only ever happens on the one xbox and that's only because it's a 500GB drive that was never formatted properly ie once there's only about 80GB left, DVD2XBOX gets confused and writes for ever more.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  15. Swango

Swango Member

Im not sure about the top spin by itself....Mine is a top spin/ncaa football 2005 dual game on 1 disc. One side of the cd case shows tops spin the other side shows ncaa football. Kind of a greatest hits deal. It was the NCAA football that loaded "live updater" that actually showed a progress bar then when finished my mod was gone and new M$ dash was not moddable. Had to XBOXHDM to recover....Like I said I have 15 other football games, I dont need that 1, but if ya come up with something Im always interested. Thanks again.

16. varnull

varnull Guest

My topspin is one of my very few original games... I borrowed it from my friend who worked in the local game shop a week before they could put it on the shelf.. worked it out and upped it for everybody with the broken file fixed :) If the broken file is deliberate it's a good anti copy method.. but not good enough ;)

I'm really still stumped as to why this nasty ncaa game should be updating the dash live bits every time.. personally I would swap those for a proper retail because these multi game and demo disks are hard work. I haven't seen that release.. I guess it didn't come out over here or I would have seen it at some time.

I still don't get why it updates.. you should be able to update with that disk then add the exploit saves to the hdd and run the softmod.. ndure works on all dash versions right up to the last.. the final ndure was after the last released xbox retail game... the exploit dash files should have the same or later version number than any game you can encounter.

I don't have any spares these days to experiment with, but it's not a problem I have encountered before... do you know where these disks came from? if they are off some magazine as an extra or something they might always do this... because they could be designed as a softmod kill disk.

17. Swango

Swango Member

No, sorry I bought about 40 games from 2 sellers 1 night with 2 systems and 6 controllers, and Action Replay with the disc and card/usb. Might even have been a dvd remote and dongle...all $150 american...Somehow I have 4 copies of that 1 game and oddly enough are the ONLY doubles I have out of 90 games I have collected thus far. Do they offer the NCAA football across the way? I could see Madden selling In Europe however I wouldnt see much call for American College football.

I have mentioned a few times that if that does what I say it does (and Im possitive it does) why wouldn't M$ put that feature on all discs...It would "hamper" pirating at least for a brief minute. But it is the only game I have that has ever done it.
    I wouldnt want to break any forum rules but maybe I could post a copy somewhere for "investigative purposes?"

18. varnull

varnull Guest

But it wouldn't hamper piracy at all.. because experienced modders generally use hardmods.

I found a box with this same disk bundled with it for sale.. guy is using evox
    It could be unleash is the problem with this game.
    http://www.rollitup.org/toke-n-talk/69645-selling-microsoft-xbox-softmodded-games.html

now then.. you know what you are doing... have a read through this http://dealdatabase.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-41058.html
    I don't have much experience with softmods.. but I do know warlock ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2009
  19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Finally dropped by at home and checked my Top SPin disc, it was donated from somewhere off the internet after all