Dynamic Vs Static IP

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by waxrebel, Jun 2, 2008.

1. waxrebel

waxrebel Member

Can anyone tell me the difference between a static IP address and a dynamic. Could I game online with my PS3 with a dynamic IP, also can I use the PC and the PS3 at the same time with a dynamic IP address??

Thanks

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The only thing i can think is that it maybe wrong but all i know is that dynamic ip address is automatically set by the computer and a static ip address is manually set by the user.

When setting up a static ip address all u need to change is the last number in the ip address and leave the subnet mask and the dns the same.

I hope that helps.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

All the difference actually is relates to many machines on a network. For instance most isp's use dynamic ip's.. set by DHCP which assigns your particular connection a specific number either for a set time or for as long as you remain connected. If you use a cable modem it will broadcast for an IP every so often, and will receive a number and dns details from some remote DHCP server. (it's called a DHCP lease) Attempting to set a static IP with a DHCP running isp will fail almost every time as their hardware waits for your hardware to broadcast for an IP.. that's how it knows you are there, which will not happen in a static setup. If you happen to know the isp's broadcast request ip you can ping it a few times and it may or may not then connect your static assigned connection. If somebody else has your requested IP you will both be unable to connect.. so don't try that unless you really know what you are doing, and know how to check for a free IP.

Often you will keep the same IP for a very long time, because unless your network hardware physically changes (different MAC id), or your number has been allocated to another user while you were away the remote system will recognise your hardware and attempt to give you your "regular" address. I have had the same IP for 4 years, yet every time I reset my modem it broadcasts for an IP and gets one back from it's remote DHCP server. It will change one day, maybe...

Static means just that.. it never ever changes. Used mostly in private LAN's for ease and security because you can assign just the ip's you need for each machine on the network and verify them by means not only of the MAC id but also by the specific name YOU have given to them... almost impossible for an alien ip spoofing machine to get into a setup like that.
    Few isp's use static, though it is still seen from some cable isp's and odd small local dialup providers who have more ports than subscribers.

If you have a router on your home network set it to run a dhcp server for you inside, and leave the outside stuff to your isp. Everything should find everything.

Looking at your question it seems you only have one possible connection.. so either buy a router or look at methods to share your outside pointing network connection. 2 machines can't have the same IP on the same network (strictly speaking that's not quite true.. but half duplex timed with handshake working is obsolete and more like a serial connection than networking.. some of us old timers use it as a way to use analog dialup modems as network cards for odd, old and unusual machines), so a simple switch before a modem is no use.. it must be a router or shared connection (with 2 nics in one machine.. one for inside and one for outside) separating the inside network (LAN) from the outside network.. t'internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  4. waxrebel

waxrebel Member

Thanks for the reply....
    So should I be okay with two machines (PC and PS3) on a dynamic address?

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

varnull, you coud have just said that a dynamic address changes every time you connect, and a static address does not change. :)