Economics and International Relations

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

The American dollar keeps getting weaker. Discuss.

And stay on topic, posting in decent English, or I'll bitch until the entire Internet hates you.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

that is why gold is neer $1000,00 a ounce

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

No more comments?

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

gold has gone way down, last time i checked canadian dollar still worth more than american dollar...pathetic. it might have evened out by now, but still...five years ago 1 usd = 1.7 canadian d.

but bush says our economy is fine. and considering he's totally honest, never makes mistakes, and is such a great person, i am 100% confident and naive that he is correct. we have nothing to worry about...i mean, who cares that the housing market (in los angeles anyways) is absolutely plummeting. more houses than every are going into foreclosure. but hey, maybe thats a sign that we should just rent all our life...screw owning property.

sorry aus, did my best to write good english.

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

The whole situation just has me so frustrated. Our game of world police is really hurting those on the lower end of the financial totem pole in this country, including broke college students like myself. Since I started school, gas has nearly doubled in price, groceries keep going up, etc etc and I keep making basically the same money.

And it's not just LA. The housing market has crashed everywhere. We've been trying to sell the same property for over 2 years, and have had *one* offer on it for less than half of what it was worth before the bottom fell out of the market. This property is our "nest egg," as it were, and losing that much on it would kill us. The only people that can get houses now are those who don't need loans on them, i.e. the rich. God forbid the middle class be allowed to exist, I guess.

What I wouldn't give for an isolationist movement once again. Make the American people far more self-sufficient. Move production back over here, cut down the population, and increase agricultral production. But I'm an extremist.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

hello you 2.
    djscoop, the canadian dollar as of this morning was 2 cents below par of the greenback.

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well at least the dollars for us and can are pretty much the same...

i feel your frustration aus...i was a poor college student for 8 years. after a while it seems like a never ending cycle that you can't get out of. tuition goes up along with the cost of living, and the minimum wage is what 8 an hour? i don't remember exactly but i think 1/4 or 1/3 of americans are technically living below the poverty line.