EGR Vault

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Asscer, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Asscer

Asscer Member

Hey everybody,
    I've recently get a check up for my car and it they said that I need to replace an EGR Vault so I was wondering can somebody tell what an EGR Vault does and it's really importannt, do I really need to replace it. Thank you very much.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That's probably an EGR valve. EGR is emissions control equipment that recirculates gasses back into the fuel system that would otherwise be sent through the exhaust system and out the tailpipe. Like most emissions control equipment your car will most likely not run as well without it installed. I believe it stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2003
  3. Asscer

Asscer Member

So if I don't replace it, my car will still run fine right? If you could please explain it so it's easier to understand what you said. Thanx Alot

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The EGR valve, like all emissions control equipment, is designed to reduce the harmful emisions released into the atmosphere by your car. Like all such devices it does this at the cost of power from your engine (it pumps hot gasses into the air used to burn the gas which reduces the amount of gas you can burn). From that point of view it is preferable to just disconnect the valve and pull the vacuam line that attaches to it and plug it up. It may or may not be that simple for you depending on a couple of things.

When emissions controls were first introduced, many people simply removed or bypassed them to avoid unpleasant performance effects. In newer cars doing this can cause big problems because many parts of the fuel and exhaust systems (which is what the EGR belongs to) are monitored by a computer which can cause artificial problems when emissions controls to be removed. For example you would have serious problems if you took the catalytic converter off a newer car. I don't know if you should be worried about this since I'm not a mechanic but I would be concerned.

Also, if you live somewhere that regular auto inspections are required you could have problems passing with a malfunctioning or bypassed EGR. I was lucky enough to learn a little about this when I had an older car that could easilly have the EGR removed which is exactly what a mechanic friend of mine did. I'm also fortunate enough to never have to have my car inspected, otherwise I would have fixed it (okay actually the car had so many worse problems that I would have gotten rid of it). Hope this helps.