Fairly Simple Question.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by DewLew, Jan 17, 2007.

1. DewLew

DewLew Member

Here's the deal.

I softmodded my xbox about a week ago.

I've had no problems using FTP or getting emulators to work.

My problem is that my softmodded xbox wont read the DVD-+ i've been burning.

I've used both Nero and Alcohol 120% to burn the .iso file but my xbox simply wont read it.

I have a dvd burner. It is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVD-160D.

The dvd-+r's i have been using are TDK DVD+R AND TDK DVD-R.

I already have the game i want to burn in a .iso format. What am i doing wrong? Please let me know. Thanks.

2. DewLew

DewLew Member

Also, my XBOX has a SAMSUNG DVD DRIVE. Thanks again people.

3. tony30uk

tony30uk Member

are you using dual layer disks?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

"are you using dual layer disks?"
    that is only for Xbox 360, not Xbox.

It could just be that your Xbox does not read the TDK discs well.
    But here are a few things to try.
    1. you can try updating your firmware on your DVD Burner if there is a newer one available. (is it by chance a DVD-106D?)
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=25
    newest firmware i saw was 1.08
    2. you can try different burning speeds depending on the speed of the DVD you use, like if it is a 1-8X DVD then burn them at 4X using DVD Decrypter, IMGburn, or Alcohol 120%
    I would try the DVD-R for these unless your burner can booktype the DVD+R discs as DVD-Rom, DVD-R seems to work best for me.
    3. you could also try a different brand of media, i would try the above first just to make sure it is actually the discs.
    Taiyo Yuden, Philips, and Verbatim have worked best for me,all 8X DVD-R which is about all i use. I have used 16X as well but do not like them as much.

5. DewLew

DewLew Member

Hey Steimy thanks for your reply.

To answer your question it IS a Pioneer DVD-106D. I had a typo in my original post.

So at this point the only two possible problems is that 1, i need to update my firmware. Or 2, use a different type of dvd-r other than TDK?

I'm not familiar with updating firmware, what does it do?

I will try Taiyo Yuden, Philips, and Verbatim DVD-Rs and see how it goes. Thanks for the reply once again.

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Pretty pointless going to all that trouble. Xbox drives don't get on with dvd+,especially the samsung drives. The 605b will just about cope with a first burn on a dvd+rw but no + at all regardless of how you attempt to burn it.
    There is a reason for this.. The xbox dvd-rom firmware was set when the dvd+ was a rare format, the occasional drive will read them, and then be picky as hell..glitching and locking up seemingly at random. I dread to think what it does to the laser.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, i would stick to a quality 8X DVD-R if i were you.
    And i have seen many people who have had problems with TDK media.
    Updating the firmware on a burner is just like updating your Windows on a PC. Firmware is waht the burner runs on so it will just add all the latest updates and fixes.
    So it can help with your burn quality and with which media's that your burner is compatible with.
    Usually the safest bet is to get the firmware from the manufacturers site.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007