Fed up with slow Internet connection

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Riff88, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Riff88

Riff88 Member

Hi.

I truly hope someone here can help.

I usually have good broadband connection, but not anymore. Three days ago i downloaded and installed a free trial of Norton 360.

It slowed down everything; computer's performance and internet connection. I have since dumped Norton, which has made my computer's performance a bit faster. but there's no improvement to my internet connection.

My internet service provided has tested my internet speed and found nothing wrong with it, the signal is good, no problem.

I tested my computer for bugs, unwanted programs, but found nothing. I deleted all my cookies, internet browser setting and any else i can think of. I even cleaned up my hard drive and put a whole lot of gig back into the system. But nothing works.

Nothing will improve my internet connection.

What must I do? How can this be solved? I am truly fed up.

I have a vista 32 bit which runs on an acer aspire computer. Up until the Norton installation everything ran FINE.

Can someone help me please?

Much obliged.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try a system restore to before norton

3. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

That what Norton is good for :(
    Go with what ddp suggested.

4. vballstud

vballstud Guest

LOL... you installed Norton. {/points finger and laughs]

5. Riff88

Riff88 Member

How would I do That? Sorry, I'm a computer newbie and completely stupid when it comes to computers

6. Riff88

Riff88 Member

NEVERMIND!!

It's seems to be somewhat back on track now, back to it's old speed. It took a whole frigging day though after I uninstalled Norton for the computer to get back to it's normal speed.

WHY WOULD IT DO THAT? (take so long?

THanks for your help.

"LOL... you installed Norton. {/points finger and laughs]"

Hey, edited by ddp, instead of trying to being condescending, perhaps you can suggest an anti'virus program that might NOT slow my computer down.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  7. ddp

vballstud!!!

Riff, watch the name calling, post edited. download & run norton removal tool from this link. http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    AVG 8.5 free edition anti-virus & anti-spyware program.
    http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe use download link at bottom left corner of page.
    Ccleaner, cleans the crap out of windows. can be setup to automatically do that each time windows startsup.
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/download/56cf8dcde5b32d4b4e7c7bea1c8e7e37/
    SpyBot Search & Destroy, manually run to remove spyware & malware.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

8. vballstud

vballstud Guest

Okay... sorry for being such a shit, but seriously. I don't know if OP is a lurker or used some kind of web search to find Afterdawn, but either way... a simple search for "Norton" on Afterdawn would show you hundreds of results for Norton. All of which have even more replies in those results saying Norton is crap and a resource hog and there are just as many posts with replies recommending free alternatives to Norton.

Google and searching isn't exactly rocket science and I'm sure my 5 year old niece could figure it out. Simply looking in Afterdawn's Windows - Virus forum could give you the suggestions for an alternative for an antivirus software.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  9. ddp

vballstud, remember not all people know how to use a computer by themselves without some help. 1 of my customers who is a friend of my mother is 1 of those. the fact that riff is posting properly & coherently shows that he/she is at least trying to learn & asking for help when needed. there are lots of people who still use norton so we will continue to teach them about the problems with that program.

10. Riff88

Riff88 Member

I apologize for swearing on the forum, it's not my style.

It's just that lately I have been asking a lot of newbie questions on different computer forums and I get a lot of laughing at from Computer geeks who thinks it's funny to be condescending when someone else doesn't know much about computers.

I like Afterdawn and i will avoid swearing in the future.

And just for the record: I DO google a lot to try and get answers, the problem is that different people give different answers for instance one guy might like Norton and another guy not. The reason why i downloaded and installed Norton was because a smart computer guy suggested it.

But no harm no foul. vballstud all is forgiven. I will return to afterdawn and thanks for an excellent site.

11. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

Very upstanding of you......welcome to aD.
    Although sometimes his demeanor leaves a little to be desired, (pretty sure he means well though) vballstud is correct about the number of people who have had nothing but rotten luck with Norton. It tends to monopolize your computer, it took me over 45min to get rid of all its crap on a friends computer. But hey, everyone starts somewhere right. At least you have gained some knowledge from your ordeal :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  12. aldan

aldan Active member

i too have been laughed at a lot over my computer ignorance.i have also sent several computers to recycling.lol.i regard it as a learning experience.i am getting better.like the above posters i have nothing good to say about norton.i personally use avast.

13. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

I've deleted the 90 day trial of Norton Hog from my laptop and replaced it with the free version of AVG and have never been happier. Unfortunately, I still have 200 some odd days till it expires from my desktop. I am counting the days till I can remove it from my desktop.

14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I've been runningNorton IS for almost a year and got another 6 mo subscription that came with my new pc and the pc is not slow one bit by Norton. Previous pc that have had norton were tho. But this is good and i plan to sign up for another year when time comes.

15. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

I am glad to hear that you are happy with it garmoon. I just know of quiet a few people whose experience was similar to what you had with using it on your previous pc. Maybe they have finally changed some things.