Final Fantasy VIII

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by cdssrm12, Dec 30, 2006.

1. cdssrm12

cdssrm12 Member

Got the game to my x-box, but in the in battle mode nothing is coming up. No health bars, no draw/item/gf/magic menu, nothing. When it's a characters turn the only reason I know it is, is because the arrow comes up over their head. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Nu2Mods

Nu2Mods Guest

copy it again?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  3. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

dirty drive lens/disk?

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The FF series are pigs to emulate.. Try to increase the frame skip in the battle scenes, I never got V111 or 1X to run properly on the xbox. Seems to be a low memory issue. You can try adding some of the graphics plugins from ngemu, and then waste days trying to configure them..If they will run at all..
    I remember reading that the bug was caused by the music file for the cutscene when the battle loads failing due to a register or stack access violation..what that could mean in an xbox VM is anybodys guess.. The only successes I heard of were on top of the range pc's (2.4 gig with 512 ram) back a few years ago..remember that with only 64Mb there isn't a lot of headroom, and some games just don't work.. The FF series are in the category of "not working" or "buggy" on every list I checked... I have 8 so if I get time I'll have a look at it...which version of the emulator are you running?..be exact!
    I think the best way forward is to get the emulation running on a pc first then attempting to configure the emulator on the box in the same way...
    Try a sensible game to get the hang of the emulator and the .img file creation...skullmonkeys works well, as do all the tomb raiders.. In the long run it's probably easier to buy a ps1, which you need to be legally entitled to have the bios...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  5. cdssrm12

cdssrm12 Member

It's the pcsxbox emulator. As for emulators on xbox, I've copied and played other games on my xbox. Crash Bandicoot, FFVII worked fine, as well as Legend of Dragoon. The only one that's not working is VIII. As for a playstation itself, I have a PS1, and PS2, but my PS1 doesn't work anymore at all, and the PS2 freezes after about a half hour and I'm too cheap to buy a new one :p

6. cdssrm12

cdssrm12 Member

It's PCSXbox v18, forgot to mention that.

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

It seems to be a bug in the game engine. I'm working on it when I get chance, but time is limited this weekend.
    I didn't have the game so *ahem* found one *ahem..cough* which is the ntsc version. It loads and runs but haven't got to a fight sequence yet..that's where the time limitation comes in.. I should have a few hours to mess with it tomorrow.

BTW.. It doesn't run very well on my epcsx emulator on the pc either..but that has more options so I'm going to try that if it doesn't work on the xbox.. I suggest you do the same as you should be able to play it from the original disks with the pc emulator.

Sorry this is taking me so long to get cracked.. I have a lot of things going on at the moment which are taking up my time.

Running in 640x480 for speed..

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2007
  8. cdssrm12

cdssrm12 Member

Hey it's cool, I know everyone has a life and all that haha, hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

9. cdssrm12

cdssrm12 Member

I just tried re burning the game and that didn't work. Also tried a different program to burn with and still same thing.

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I'm still trying to fing the problem.. The trouble is I have the same problem with my pc based emulator, which is slow as hell too. I have a funny feeling it's not going to be an easy one to solve. The xbox version of the emulator isn't friendly to alternative plugins.. In fact it isn't coded for alternatives so far as I can find..
    It's not anything to do with the game rip.. I have ripped it a few different ways, and as they all work just fine up to the fight scenes it's more to do with graphics layering and emulator software plugins. (Oooo very technical) TBH..things are hectic here and I haven't had much time to look at this. I tend to give up on a specific game after about 10 hours.... If it isn't going to run after that then it probably isn't going to without building a completely new emulator for it.

Reccomendation.. Buy a playstation for the Final Fantasy series.. It's cheaper than the hours I have already put in trying to solve the problem.

Try the PC emulator and give the plugins a go. http://www.epsxe.com/news.php .
    This is the pc version of the one ported to the xbox. http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/pcsx.html

If you find a plugin that works post back and I'll have a go at cobbling it into the emulator.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007
  11. beezie29

beezie29 Guest

i need some good emulators like n64 something thats beter then super nes on my xbox not my computer. well i do got ps1 but i dont have any roms for it so if someone ca help me that well be perfect thank u.

12. cdssrm12

cdssrm12 Member

Unfortunately I'm spending the money I would have spent on a new PS2 on fixing my sink so :p