flashing hazard lights

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ozo1, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ozo1

ozo1 Member

Could somebody enlighten me on this. I approach a 4-way junction with my hazard lights flashing at night. I intend to go straight. On two incidences, the approaching car nearly ran into me. On both times the approaching driver shouted at me saying that when the hazards light are flashing on a 4-way junction, it meant that I would be turning left. I could not find such interpretation in the California Drivers' Handbook. Am I in the wrong here? Thx

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum due to blindness as not a news issue.

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Never heard of that one...if anything, I would expect flashing lights to turn right (towards the edge of the road, where hazard lights are usually headed). Then again, I don't live in California.

Also (at least in Florida), signals are irrelevant to a crash investigation. If you go strait through a green light with your turn signal on, and someone turns in front of you, they are at fault. This only makes sense, as that turn signal might be for a driveway that is after the intersection, but within 100 feet (Florida law states that you have to signal 100 feet before a turn)

Even if California says that hazard lights are the same thing as a turn signal, anyone that trusts turn signals is a dangerous driver, and you should not listen to any driving advice that they give you.

My hypothesis from your experience is this: During driver education, students are told that a car with hazard lights on cannot signal, and thus might turn left...the braindead students are too busy playing video games on their phones, and all they hear is "hazard lights mean that the driver will turn left".

BTW...I doubt California defines 4-way flashers as a left turn signal...this makes no sense at all, as 4-way flashers are not 4-way flashers if the turn signal does not work, so why wouldn't the driver just use the turn signal?

4. ozo1

ozo1 Member

Moderator, what is the correct forum for this type of discussion. Yes, I am new to this. thx