format preinstalled vista on laptop

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wwejunkie, Sep 22, 2007.

1. wwejunkie

wwejunkie Regular member

how do u format windows vista home without the cd cause when i bought laptop it was preinstalled. thanks

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

If you have not got a CD what are you going to put on it? Is the laptop legally yours?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  3. gamename

gamename Regular member

contact the manufaturer of the pc. they will usually send u a set of disc that came pre-installed for a small price. it used to be about $25.00 usd.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check your post screen as might give option to do a system recovery. i know on 1 of the toshiba laptops which a friend has 2 that has vista home basic on it that you make your own recovery dvd disk(s). you do that thru windows.

5. wwejunkie

wwejunkie Regular member

how about recovery manager does that format the comp to the same status as when i first bought. also my laptop has 3 hard drives. 2 are 150 gig each and one is 8 gig and its called HP_Recovery.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think the recovery manager might put everything back to original status. you don't have 3 physical hard drives but 1 that is partitioned into 3.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

ON hp and compaq computers on boot press f10 to recover.

If it is an HP or Compaq then there is a hidden partition on the hard drive that has the system restore on it. You have to hit F10 or F2 to get into the bios restore then it will format your primary partition and restore it to factory defaults.

There is are detailed instructions on the HP and Compaq support sites for how to do this. Each system is a little different so it is hard to tell how here.

If it is not an HP or Compaq then you can probably get a set of restore disks from the vendor.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007