FTP Problem

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Xcess78, May 7, 2006.

1. Xcess78

Xcess78 Member

I tried using a tutorial to FTP into my XBox [using EvolutionX] from the site http://teammodders.com/viewtopic.php?t=128 and, using FlashFXP, I go to FTP into my XBox, and in connecting, the status lines say:

FlashFXP v3.3.6 build 1125 [BETA RELEASE]
    Support Forums at http://forum.inicom.net

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
    [R] Connecting to Travis!'s Xbox -> IP=192.168.0.3 PORT=21
    [R] Connected to Travis!'s Xbox
    [R] 220 Please enter your login name now.
    [R] USER xbox
    [R] 331 Password required for xbox.
    [R] PASS (hidden)
    [R] 230 User xbox logged in , proceed.
    [R] SYST
    [R] 215 UNIX Type: L8
    [R] FEAT
    [R] 502 feat is not implemented.
    [R] REST 100
    [R] 502 rest is not implemented.
    [R] This site may not allow file resuming
    [R] PWD
    [R] 257 "/" is current directory
    [R] TYPE A
    [R] 200 Type set to ASCII.
    [R] Listening on PORT: 4964, Waiting for connection.
    [R] PORT 192,168,0,2,19,100
    [R] 200 Port command ok.
    [R] LIST -al
    [R] 150 Opening ASCII data connection for ls /.
    [R] 226 Transfer finished successfully. Data connection closed.

and beneath it, in the status bar, it says "Listing directory" and just acts like it's loading... and nothing. Does anyone know a possible solution/help for this? I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

2. Xx1modxX

Xx1modxX Guest

well is your xbox modded? if it isn't then that's your problem and the ip it gave you was just an example you have to use your own ip. if your xbox is connected to your rouder then change the network type to DHCP which is found in the settings. if its connected to your pc leave it as Static. Then you ip is at the bottom right of the screen type that where it says server unit or url for username and password type xbox

3. Xcess78

Xcess78 Member

Yea I'm running EvolutionX, should I enter a different IP? I think I know what the problem is, it says "Data connection closed" and that might be why it won't show the list? I think that might be it but I have no idea how to fix this... I tried using CuteFTP as well, nothing. Any other thoughts/advice/help?

4. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Im not sure about evolutionX ( I use unleashX) but you might have to enable ftp in your settigns, also what is you steup, are you going through a router at all, and what kind of cable are you using? Also you could try twiddling with the ip of your xbox, switch it up, if static isnt working try DHCP, and remember everytime you make a change to your xbox's ip, you must phyisically press the power button and restart it.
    Get back to us.

5. Xcess78

Xcess78 Member

FTP is enabled, I use a direct connection [no router] with a crossover cable. I don't see an option for DHCP, so I don't know about that

6. steimy

steimy Active member

the DHCP with say static IP or something like that and have a yes or no answer (or on and off)
    If it is set to yes (on) the it is using Static IP
    The No (off) would be when using DHCP

Teammodders also has online chat and an IRC chanel you can get real time help if anyone is on. I know they helped me get mine working.
    It is most likely something in your settings like the DHCP setting, or something with the IP Address.
    List how you have each set up, IP settings for PC
    Xbox, and FTP Program
    You may also need to set up the connection for network sharing to get it working, i know i did.

7. shademand

shademand Regular member

Make sure that you have enabled FTP goto start > accessories > system tools > security center > windows firewall
    click on the Advanced tab now under network connection settings click on settings and make sure that FTP server has been selected.

You are simply having an ip conflict somewhere so

whatever your PC's ip address is for example if its, 192.168.2.1
    match the first three sets of numbers when setting your Xbox's ip address in this case that would mean 192.168.2.X now where the X is make that number 222 for your Xbox. make the Xbox's default gateway & DNS the PC's ip address in this case that would be 192.168.2.1

If you follow this example it should work

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  8. Xcess78

Xcess78 Member

Tried turning off static IP, it wouldn't even connect when I did that...
    Okay

IP Settings, Computer:

Use Following IP Address:
    IP Address - 192.168.2.1
    Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway - [Blank]

Prefered DNS Server - [Blank]
    Alternate DNS Server - [Blank]

EvolutionX Settings:
    Setup Network - Yes
    Use Static IP - Yes
    IP - 192.168.2.222
    Subnetmask - 255.255.255.0
    DefaultGateway - 192.168.2.1
    DNS - 192.168.2.1
    DNS - [Blank]
    Setup Delay - 5
    Skip Setup If No Link - No
    FTP Enabled - Yes
    Password - xbox

FTP: FlashFXP
    QuickConnect->192.168.2.222, xbox, xbox, port 21
    Toggles->Anti-Idle, Show Hidden Files, Restore Broken Transfers, Use Passive Mode, Use Skiplist, Send NOOP during transfer.

Is that the info you need?
    Thanks again

9. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

okay put it on static
    now you see the ip address displayed on your tv screen
    put that into your ftp client, it should works great.

10. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

11. Xcess78

Xcess78 Member

entered in for quick connect 192.168.2.222

Same thing... data connection closed, list error

12. shademand

shademand Regular member

What screen are you on when you are attempting start Flash FXP? I know that on my Xbox, I cannot start Flash FXP, from the Evox main screen I must enter the System Settings for it to do so. However, Flash FXP does work from my main Avalaunch screen.

Make these changes as well:

Toggle off > Use Skiplist, Send NOOP during transfer.

Connection tab > toggle on Passive Mode & Enable only when connecting

Transfer tab > toggle on Smart mode handling, close unused FTP, Stop and resume, and Restore broken

I also, didn't see in your connection activity log where you are entering into PASV mode you need to have that on... here's mine to compare

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004
    [R] Connecting to xbox -> IP=192.168.2.137 PORT=21
    [R] Connected to xbox
    [R] 220 The Avalaunch FTP system -- enter user name
    [R] USER xbox
    [R] 331 Password required for xbox
    [R] PASS (hidden)
    [R] 230 user xbox logged in.
    [R] SYST
    [R] 215 UNIX emulation by Avalaunch 0.47.5
    [R] FEAT
    [R] 502 Command not implemented, superfluous at this site.
    [R] REST 100
    [R] 350 Restarting at 100. Send STORE or RETRIEVE.
    [R] REST 0
    [R] 350 Restarting at 0. Send STORE or RETRIEVE.
    [R] PWD
    [R] 257 "/" is current directory.
    [R] TYPE A
    [R] 200 ASCII type transfers selected
    [R] PASV
    [R] 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,137,8,1)
    [R] Opening data connection IP: 192.168.2.137 PORT: 2049
    [R] LIST -al
    [R] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
    [R] 226 Transfer complete.
    [R] List Complete: 342 bytes in 0.09 seconds (3.6 KB/s)

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  13. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Go to Network Settings,now highlight the ethernet card you have your crossover hooked up to and right click on it.Then click on properties it should bring up a list of settings.Scroll down all the way till you see Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and highlight it.Now just below the scroll bar there are more options to choose from,just click on properties once again.It should bring up a window that displays:

Obtain an IP address automatically
    Use the following IP address

It should have a bubble next to both of those,just click on the bubble for Use the following IP address.Now enter this in:

IP address:192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
    Default gateway:192.168.0.1

Once you are done typing this in close out,and turn on your Xbox with the crossover cable not plugged in yet.Go to System Management and then click on EvoX Settings.Once inside change your settings to match these:

Setup Network:Yes
    Use Static IP:Yes
    IP:192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
    DefaultGateway:192.168.0.1

Alright scroll down a little bit until you see FTP,the settings should be:

Enable:Yes
    Password:xbox

Once you are done,save your settings and turn off your Xbox.Hook up your crossover cable and disconnect from your internet,now turn your Xbox on.

Open up FlashFXP,and click on the very top left where it says Sites then click on Site Manager.Click on the bottom left of the screen that comes up where it says New Site and name it Xbox.Now type in these settings:

IP address:192.168.0.3
    Port:21
    User Name:xbox
    Password:xbox

Click on the very top where it says Options,it should show alot of settings you can click on.Where it says Passive Mode if it has a green box then you need to disable it.So click on it twice until nothing is in the box next to it.Now just click on Connect and it should ftp into the harddrive of your Xbox.Now everytime you want to connect to your Xbox all you have to do is go to the Site Manager and click on the Connect button for Xbox to ftp into your harddrive.I hope I helped you out,if not let me know and I will see what I can do.

Peace L-Burna

14. shademand

shademand Regular member

Did you miss where I just advised him to turn Passive mode ON. Lets not give conflicting advise. If he posts back and says my way does not work then by all means you can take this over and I won't post another suggestion on the matter.
    The whole point of passive mode is to keep his network from rejecting his connections. Active mode is the problem... active mode means that only his PC can initiate the FTP connection and on certain ports, a server-client connection, this type of connection can go haywire if you have a router. Passive means his Xbox will do all the talking and open the ports of its choosing, establishing a client-server connection. If you reviewed his posted log entries you find that his PC was listening and waiting for the Xbox to give those instructions it took too long in doing so, the default 5 secs, so it keeps closing the connection. I entered two lines from my log to show how it should look.

[R] Listening on PORT: 4964, Waiting for connection.

When he turns PASV on his Xbox will then initiate the connection.. An example is this entry where my Xbox is telling the PC to open its ports.

[R] 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,137,8,1)
    [R] Opening data connection IP: 192.168.2.137 PORT: 2049

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  15. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Passive Mode is not needed with the method I described as he just manually input all the settings.With Passive Mode on it will give you an IP address,this is not working cause he is getting conflict between his computer and the Xbox.I'm not new to ftp and it always works I have used this method a ton of times with a crossover cable.I didn't come up with this idea it was located off of xbox-scene in the tutorial section.I don't think the people who create tutorials off of xbox-scene are dumb and don't know what they are doing.They know exactly what they are doing,but if you want proof you can find it here http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/network.php .Read it carefully as it says in step 7 for FlashFXP:

7. Hit the “Options” tab and click off passive mode COMPLETELY.

Trust me I use this method all the time,why would I come on here and lie.It makes no sense to me,try it for yourself if you don't believe me then come back and tell me if it works or not.I don't give out false information and I never will.

16. shademand

shademand Regular member

@L-Burna, please read my post and point out to me, where I am calling you a liar. Each method of FTP active & passive has its purpose, I never said if he followed your instructions that it would not work either. When I read a thread and I see that you or anyone else for that matter, are working with someone on an issue unless I see where that person has returned and posted that the method given did not work, I do not post a thing on the matter. Thats all I am saying here I told him one method and then, here you come before he even posts back acting as if the method I had just given him was all wrong and that you know a better way. I don't need your link! I have a college degree in computer and information science, and quite a few certifications as well, I work as a network administrator. My area of emphasis networking & security mgt, so I think I qualify as knowing a thing about FTP w/o having to read it from xbox-scene, as if thats the authority on FTPing. So , again Active FTP is for a server or PC that wants to limit who specifically connects to it, from the outside world, the Internet. Passive FTP is used when you trust who or what is connecting in this case its his Xbox on his private network.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Well you didn't exactly say I was a liar,but you said I was giving him conflicting advice.The method I described works,I don't take credit for it I respect xbox-scene and posted what I found from them.I barely post,but when I seen Xcess78 keep coming back with a non working connection I admit I did step in.I'm not here to start trouble,but to help out.You have a college degree,well so do I it's actually a good thing you have a college degree I'm not against it.He can try your method,but I would like him to try this method out also and see which one works better for him.The connection he has is not a real internet connection though,he is using a shared connection with his XBox and his PC.A crossover cable is used to transfer data between two computers(doesn't require an internet connection,it works as a shared connection),a direct connection relies on a internet connection which isn't needed for this situation(used if you have a router and want to transfer using your internet connection,you use straight cable=CAT5).I'm trying to tell you Passive Mode is not needed for the connection he is working with,and the problem is no matter what I say you will disagree with me.The fact is you might not call me a liar,but you will not listen to what I say which intitles me to say you think the information I am supplying is bogus(a lie of that matter).I will give up helping him if that makes you happy,but I know just as much as you do on hooking up a xbox connection.

18. thekingo7

thekingo7 Regular member

Okay you guys quit it right now, or I will get this thread shut down, L-burna you are a respected member of the forums with good opinons and answers, dont get the repuatation tarnished. Shademand, just stop, your acting like a know-it-all and people hate that, it would be a shame to allready be disliked when you are only a newbie.

Think about what I have said, or this will be shut down.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  19. Xcess78

Xcess78 Member

well im really freakin confused about all of this as of now, and i tried all of that and i still got the same error... so... yea...

20. steimy

steimy Active member

FTP tutorials (and then some)
    http://www.teammodders.com/viewforum.php?f=45
    if you can not get it, check the main page and enter their chat room, if no one is there you can post up on the site and they will either help you or you may be able to get them to join you in the live chat at a certain time to help in real time.

they got me up and running