FTP to FTP Server File Transfer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Cyberdood, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Cyberdood

Cyberdood Member

Hi

I have to move a 700MB website from one FTP host to another (its got cad files on it that total up to 700mb fyi).

I understand that FlashFXP can do a server to server transfer but I cannot see anything in its settings about how to do this.

As it stands at the moment I have to download the entire site then reupload it again... which will take me ages even on adsl.

Can any one offer me advice on this please?

Thanks

Cyberdood

Last edited: Sep 17, 2003
  2. Easycola

Easycola Regular member

OK, so you want to do a bit of FXP between 2 separate ftp sites....
    Few things. FXP ain't allways possible, these criterias have to be met:
    1. Support PASV mode (When you connect to a FTP, you usually use port 21, and port 20 which is determined by the FTP host. A site that supports PASV mode will allow your machine to decide which port to use for data connection as to port 20.)
    2. Allow PORT commands to foreign hosts (They are basically parameters that tell the server which IP address to connect to.)
    3. At least one of the hosts must be a non-NT FTP server (e.g. Unix, SunOS).

Your ftp client have to be capable of doing fxp, which flashfxp does, another program to try with is smartFTP (freeware).

Considering FlashFXP, the developers site contains all possible how-to basics quides:
    -site to site transfer guide (=FXP):
    http://www.flashfxp.com/tutorial.php?s=Step4

Check out their FAQs too if problems occur.
    Last but not least, hope you can FXP....:)

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Wouldnt it be simpler to just install an FTP client on the source machine? :p

4. Easycola

Easycola Regular member

So Praetor is up to idea about rooting the ISP's server? Not a bad idea until they spot it...;)