Game wont fit

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by balkos, Jul 19, 2004.

1. balkos

balkos Member

I am trying to backup ninja gaiden and it won't fit on a DVD. The ISO is 4.4GB and my DVD-R case says that it is 4.7GB. but when i put it in my comp it says there is only 4.3GB available. why am i losing 400MB?

I know i can delete files to make it fit but i would rather figure out whats going on.

Thanks

2. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

Hey buddy...do a quick search on here and you will get your answer. I just don't want you to get flamed.

3. balkos

balkos Member

I don't want to get flamed either. I did do search's. Maybe i just suck at them? I did a search for ninja gaiden and thats how i found out about deleting the files. I just want to know why they advertise 4.7 gigs but i can't fit a 4.47 gig ISO on it. I saw somthing about 4.36Gigs in one of my searched but that was in the DVD ripping section. I also didn't usderstand. Its a dvd-RW actually if that makes a difference. It is unused and i tried 3 different ones.

thanks

4. vans12

vans12 Regular member

he it is a good ? is made because it is avertived as 4.7 and he only get 4.3 the reson is that is just the way it is. Single layered DVD's have all ways been only 4.33gig so i dont know why they avdvertive 4.7gig.

5. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

Balkos I know the search can be difficult so I will help you since this subject is getting fairly old. Just look for the identical _j files in your game. Take these files out as they are only the Japanese audio translation of the game. You will see files with the exact same size in english and japanese...delete the _j files. The only thing you will ever notice is if you try to play the game in Japanese audio...then you will get the dreaded dirty disc error. Hope this helps.

6. lcage950

lcage950 Member

Well, I hope you've managed to rip Ninja Gaiden, but here's my take on why 4.7GB DVDs only hold 4.3: The issue is actually how you count GBs. A disk manufacturer, DVD or HD, considers a GB to be a billion bytes whereas a computer counts a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes. The same thing holds true for hard drives, look at the capacity of a 100 gig drive, its actually somewhere around 93 gig once its in your pc. Hope that helps out.

7. balkos

balkos Member

ok thanks guy. so it is a known fact that they only hold 4.3GB its not just me?. Ok i will just delete the files. ya i forgot a computer counts a MB as 1024 and the manufactures say its 1000

thanks again