Getting my DV to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by JimmyNice, Sep 16, 2006.

1. JimmyNice

JimmyNice Member

I've been encoding AVI, MPG 1 & 2 and most other files to DVD for years and I'm very comfortable just about anything and everything to DVD, but I keep running into walls when I try to record from my Digital video camera.

I have a Panasonic PV-GS19 and it takes excellent video that's very clear on original recording playing direct from the camera or when I capture it with window's movie maker and have it in raw-avi format.

The problems seem to come with conversion. The are only 2 ways I can get it to DVD so far both with mixed results.

DVD santa seems like a simple interface, very intuitive and does the job in about the time it takes the tape to play, the problem comes though that the audio is all our of whack, slow and disjionted, and the video stutters.

I tried a DOOM-9 tutorial using win-dv for capture and tmpgenc to encod the video and TMPGenc DVD Author to make the DVD and it's watchable and the audio's ok, but I get horizontal lines that aren't very noticeable when there's not alot of movement, but as soon as there's any movement the lines are very obvious.

I've had my camera a year and I'm frustrated as I've filled up all these tapes with video of my daughter and I can't get it converted over to a quality dvd so we can save and enjoy them.

Any help the forum can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The phenomenon that you describe looks like an interlacing effect. If you watch the DVD's on your PC you better make the video progressive (i.e. non-interlaced). There is a setting for that in TMPGenc. If you wacth them on TV this effect should not be visible. If it is, you may have a wrong filed dominance. TMPGEnc also has a setting to change the field dominance.

3. JimmyNice

JimmyNice Member

Thanks... any idea what the correct settings would be for field dominance for NTSC?

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I'm not sure and it could even differ depending on the camcorder. I think, usually field order is Bottom Field first (it is anyway with my material, which is PAL). I suggest you just try the two different settings and compare. Remember to check it on TV. If the problem persists, go for progressive MPEG.

5. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Two programs not free Nero 6 ultra or Pinnacle 10.5 . pinnacle is the best oh yea adobe elements 4.0 with Premiere I don't have Premiere but its for home movies too

6. HelpPleas

HelpPleas Regular member

I capture,edit and make DVD with Pinnacle Studio 9.4. It works extremely well. VERY good quality. HOWEVER, it is a strange program in that it doesn't seem to work for a lot of people for some reason.
    Personally I wouldn't use anything else, but Nero is good too.