Good player for DVD+R DL?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by 6Ripper9, Aug 13, 2006.

1. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

I've searched high and low on here, and can't find the answer (maybe my search query was wrong): What's a good DVD player that plays DVD+R DL? I have a little Regent I picked up at Wal-Mart that kinda plays them, but after a few minutes, they start freezing and skipping. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

3. JVC

JVC Active member

4. 6Ripper9

6Ripper9 Member

@Ripper: Believe me, I spent almost 2 hours trying to find something. Maybe my search words weren't good enough, but thanks for the link. Now I know who stole my name, lol

@JVC: I know about the bitsetting. I think my DVD player is probably just a piece of crap. I'll have to try and find something better, even if I have to spend a bit.

Thanks guys!

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No probs for the link - the search isn't perfect here so don't sweat it ;)

And [bold]stole[/bold] your name lol I don't think so :p

lol

6. ntjones

ntjones Member

Sorry to piggy back on the OP's topic, but I have the same question. I, as well, know about bitsetting, but its still very hit-miss with DL disks as to whether they will work in your home player.

So, to be specific, is anyone here burning goodly amounts of DL disks and playing them with 100% success in your home player? I have gone through 3 players so far and none have played more than a couple of them completely, even though each disk will play in the burner. Skipping, freezing, or in some cases, the player doesn't even recognize them.

Thanks in advance!
    Nate

7. JVC

JVC Active member

@ntjones........
    What brand DL media are you using? Sounds like Memorex!
    For DL burning, you should use Verbatim. They are the best, without question, for DL burning. Memorex may be a couple dollars cheaper, but are going to be a lot more trouble, in the long run.

I've not burned a [bold]lot[/bold] of DL discs, but have burned several. I only use them for those "special" movies, that I want without compression, because of the price. They've gotten cheaper, but still not cheap enough to use a lot. I've not had any trouble with any of mine. Friends that have borrowed them haven't had any trouble watching them either. I booktype them to DVD Rom, rip and burn(2.4X)with DVD Decrypter, and they are good.

8. ntjones

ntjones Member

Thanks JVC, I'll give those a try. I've actually been using ridata ones lately with mixed success. I did try a 3pack of Verbatim when they first came out last year, and they did not work well with my then-current dvd player (Philips DVP-642). Maybe the newer Verbatims are better or it could be that the Philips just wasnt very good at reading DL disks.
    I'm gonna get a new dvd player, too, most likely either the Sony DVP-NS55P/B or the OPPO OPDV971H. I just want a player that will play DL disks and with a good picture, obviously. The Sony looks promising because apparently it is better at reading scratched disks that others can't ( a HUGE problem with my current dvd player, Samsung HD950).

Thanks again!
    Nate

9. JVC

JVC Active member

My Pioneer has no trouble with any discs I've put in it. I have the DV 563a universal player. It was a little over $100 when I got it. They don't make them anymore. They went to a 578, but I don't know if they still make them either. The ones in Wal Mart look just like it, but they don't play dvd-a and sacd discs.

10. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

Memorex DVD+R DL code out Ritek D01-01. From what I know Ritek isn't too shabby. Yes, Verbs are better but I dont think those DVDs are as crappy as you make them out to be. I've done 2 burns with them and both were solid. (For all you wondering, the only reason I bought them was because I got a 20 pack for about $6 or $8. They were really cheap.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  11. JVC

JVC Active member

It's my understanding that Ritek media isn't as good as it once was. They changed manufacturers. Let us know in six to eight months, when you try to watch them again, how good they are.
    I hope they are good for you. Then you got a deal. If they're unwatchable a few months from now, it wasn't such a good deal.
    Good luck!

12. MavsFan

MavsFan Guest

I am looking for a new player myself. I note that the Sony DVP-NS75H @ $129 on Sony's site supports -R, +R and +R DL's.

MavsFan

13. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

The Philips DVP-642 is available at lots of places for < $60 and plays DL and just about everything else out there, and regardless of booktype. I understand the 5960 is just a newer version but is as good. I have an old Toshiba circa 2002-2003 that plays DL too. I think booktyping matters more than anything else with players. Of course, the "do-all" kind like Philips don't care either way.

I'd stay away from that Sony. For one thing, $129 is about 2x to 4x what a DVD player should cost these days, unless it's upconverting and you have HD. The fact that it has HDMI does not mean it upconverts.

14. MavsFan

MavsFan Guest

Are upconverting and upscaling the same thing? It says it upscales to 720p or 1080i, and I do have HD.

MavsFan

15. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I guess so, though I really haven't seen the term "upscaling" applied to general DVD-quality discussions. It sounds like you may benefit from this. I'm not sure if that Sony is the best - ask around here and at videohelp.com, especially the forums. I'm told even some of the relatively cheap upconverting units do an awesome job, while some of the more-expensive are just so-so. And a lot of folks will say that it's pretty close to full HD-quality, without having to reinvest in expensive hardware and a whole new video library in Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.

16. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

I wouldn't go too expensive on a DVD player. Make sure it can upconvert, has some sort of HD output (component or HDMI) can read DVD+ or -Rs and has a built in DivX codec. Philips make one that you can find for about $50 or $60. Even the CyberHome for like $35 has all those features and its not that bad. I've spent $150 on a DVD player before only to have it crap out 2 years later while my friend has been sporting a Philips with the above features for the past 2 years and its still going strong.

17. MavsFan

MavsFan Guest

Just as an update, I replaced my Denon player with a Panasonic DVD-S52S. All problems disappeared. This player plays all my discs just great.

Thanks for all your help.

MavsFan