Have I deleted files that I can easily recover?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Zenforcer, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Zenforcer

Zenforcer Member

Hello, I am seeking assistance and assuming that I will need analysis tools in correcting my foolish error. I hope that this is the correct place to request help.

Originally, my goal was to uninstall Microsoft Office as it was not working. I was unable to uninstall using Vista's Programs and Features in the control panel. I found this page online... http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread94702.html#. I then followed the link to this Microsoft Support page... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us. I followed the instructions on this page and restarted my laptop, however I found that I still had the same problem with Microsoft Office. Now, I have the problem that my AVG won't work, and when I start the laptop it tells me that there is a problem with Pinyin IME. I appear to have deleted files that I need. I don't know anything about what mistakes I made as I just followed the instructions on the Microsoft Support page. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in fixing my errors. Thanks.

Also, I have no ability to buy a new program right now... so, I was hoping somebody could recommend a free recovery program if one is necessary.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try doing a system restore to before problem.

3. Zenforcer

Zenforcer Member

I just started the Vista System Restore wizard. Unfortunately, I deleted those files over a week ago, and the oldest system restore date listed was 3 days ago. Is there a way for me to access previous restore dates?

4. ddp

change the restore calender from november to october then select a day to restore to.

5. Zenforcer

Zenforcer Member

Um, I apologize for my ignorance here, but I'm looking it up online and I can't find a description of how to find the restore calendar in Vista. Could you explain that for me?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  6. ddp

if the restore is similar in vista as to xp that i'm using then on either side of the word "november" is an arrow, click on the left arrow to goto october.

7. Zenforcer

Zenforcer Member

No, unfortunately, in my window I have only a "Date and Time" column and 4 options in that column ending with 3 days ago. I looked at a screenshot of the XP restore wizard, and it is different. I assume that there is an easy way of accessing the calendar in Vista, but I can't find a description of how to do this yet.

8. ddp

goto help & support when you click the start button & type in "system restore". i think it will tell you there on what to do.

9. Zenforcer

Zenforcer Member

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate any assistance.

I already read through the Help and Support info. Nothing specifically helpful in there, and nothing about the calendar.

10. Zenforcer

Zenforcer Member

Any other assistance anybody can provide?

11. Prof_666

Prof_666 Guest

Hi,i'm assuming that your laptop came with vista pre-installed and with no recovery cd?
    If this is the case you may still have a recovery sector on your hdd accessible on boot-up,try tapping F10 or escape(may be a different key) as your system is booting and see if you have an option to boot to another partition,if so you should find recovery options on there.
    Regards,
    Prof

12. Zenforcer

Zenforcer Member

Yes, you are correct about the laptop. It's an ASUS laptop with Vista home premium pre-loaded.

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot. I'm sure there are guides out there that would explain how to do that. If I have trouble, then I will start looking for one, but do you have any guidance for me on what I am doing and how to not screw it up? Hah, I'm not completely incompetent but not proficient here either. It's my mother's laptop, and I've screwed it up enough at this point so any descriptions would really be appreciated by me.

13. scum101

scum101 Guest

14. Zenforcer

Zenforcer Member

Well, thank you very much for offering assistance even against your better moral judgment of the massive corporation that I'm slowly beginning to acknowledge as <expletive>. Unfortunately, I checked out the download you recommended and then posted on the neosmart forums for assistance, and a moderator explained it to me that...

"Well given the information provided and just by guessing, i would have to say that your in a bit of a bind. Since you already deleted the Restore Points there isnt much that can be done. Vista doesnt have a Repair feature like XP and even so our Disk is only used to fix boot problems and use Restore Points. It can't be used for reinstalls."

I'll keep searching I guess. Thanks, though.

15. scum101

scum101 Guest

I was hoping there would be one left lying about.. how about the recovery partition? .. I have found that feature to be next to useless.. It's never ever worked for me in these situations... manufacturers website will have instructions how to run the recovery, but that will take it back to factory.
    Personally I would upgrade to xp if I was you.. Might take a bit of messing about, nlite for the sata driver etc.. but I'm not.. I would put a proper free and legal OS on the thing instead... something that will probably work and not just die.

ddp .. fista doesn't have a "repair" option.. unlike xp .. it never belongs to the purchaser.

time for make and model.. then I can find out how to use the recovery partition for you :)

interesting trick (noted for future reference) http://www.notebookforums.com/thread194290.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
  16. Prof_666

Prof_666 Guest

PM sent