HD dvd player vs. upconvert

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jbent, Dec 23, 2007.

1. jbent

jbent Member

I was recently deciding to upgrade my dvd player and was wondering the differences in the two i still plan to watch mostly regular dvds but was wondering if the picture and sound quality would still be better on a HD dvd player due to the more advanced technology so if anyone has any opinions or seggestions that would be great thanks again

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

do you have an HD-TV?

if yes, then you *may* notice an improvement with either bluray or hd-dvd, depending on the quality of your equipment and the level of audio/videophile traits you possess. but if you're going the hd route, you still want a machine that will upconvert your dvds. i'm not sure as to whether or not there is a device that will play all three formats, so you may be looking for two to three new machines.

if no, stick with a dvd player. you don't even need an up-converting one.

3. jbent

jbent Member

yes the tv is an HDTV but only up to 1080i and the two players its between are the Toshiba HD-A3 or the Samsung DVD-1080P7. Im planing on using a gold quality HDMI cable for the connnector type. So im just wondering if they will be about the same quality since i plan to mainly use standard dvds or if one might out perfrom the other. thank again.

4. LILBUCK

LILBUCK Guest

buying a hd-dvd player is a waste of money go with the up-converting dvd player, I did and are very happy with the picture on my 46" sony bravia. Hd-dvd is going to lose the format war against blu-ray by the end of 2008. If you play back-up dvds or have a large collection of dvds go with an upconverting dvd player I have two one sony(dvpns78H) paid 89.99 cnd and one lg(lda-831) paid 85.99cnd the sony is multi region and the I converted the lg to region free with a simple hack. both dvd players I play in 1080p and the picture quality is amazing

5. sk8flawzz

sk8flawzz Regular member

if you don't plan on purchasing HD DVD titles then I'd recommend an inexpensive up-conversion player. You're TV is 1080i so there's no need to shell out the extra money for 1080i.
    which is why if you're planning on ANY interest in HD DVD titles (Transformers was worth it) then the HD-A3 on Amazon for $180 with a total of 10 free HD DVDs is a very good deal. It is the player I use in my home and I am very satisfied with the results.
    There are inexpensive Blu-ray players available now, but keep in mind that these are now obsolete players as they cannon take advantage of newer special features on the Blu-Ray discs. Don't let biased rumors of one format or another dying off keep you from buying one or the other.

a good name up-convert player SHOULD give the same quality as the HD DVD player, just look for reviews on the model you plan on purchasing. Good luck!!

6. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

LILBUCK, what connection are you using? i just bought the sony RDR-GX355 recorder and the picture is only ok on my 46" sharp aquos. i tried an hdmi cable but the picture was horrible. im currently using component but only get 480 out of it.