hdd question

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by micky124, Feb 11, 2006.

1. micky124

micky124 Member

i messed up my hard drive and am getting error 13 my xbox is not chiped so if i buy a hard drive out of an xbox will i be able just to swap it over ? or will i have to get a chip first ?

2. xyron

xyron Guest

what exactly did you do?

3. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Did you make a backup? Do you have Slayers?

4. micky124

micky124 Member

yes ive got slayers 2.6 it wont boot it will go to the flubber thing then goes to the error 13. this happend when i went to update the ms dashboard. didnt get time to sett the tfp up. i backed up my c folder into the e folder on my xbox hard drive. the only thing that boots up is original games i tryed the trick were you update ur dash with xbox live on a new game still no joy. ive seen xbox hard drives on ebay will i be able to put that straight in to my xbox ?

5. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

You should be able to restore with slayers. You may want to try running the softmod again, and when you get to the slayers install screen choose to restore to default. You should also be able to FTP over any files that you need from your PC.

6. micky124

micky124 Member

it wont boot even tryed auto installer v3.0 tryed run my linux installer with splinter cell and they have gone aswell. think am stuffed mite try to burn on a dvd+r as am using dvd-r at tthe mo to see if that works

7. theridges

theridges Guest

hopefully you backed up your eeprom to your computer so u can use xbox hdm to upgrade your hard drive...i dont know why you were upgrading your ms dash on a softmodded xbox in the first place you dont need to if its already softmodded...if you didnt delete the saves from your xbox you should still be able to put splintercell back in and remove the softmod...this is what error 13 is if u didnt know....
    13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

The error it gives is because of the incompatibility between the (older) dashboard (4920) that older slayer cd installs and the new dashboard/kernel versions found in some new xbox's and found in xbox's that have been connected to xbox live (when you go on xbox-live, it'll upgrade your dashboard file to i believe it is now 5659.03. This dasboard is incompatible with the dash that (old) slayer cd installs (for example 2.5 or lower) for you.

(In detail, in the eeprom chip there is a kernel which is incompatible with the dashboard (4920) that slayer installs.)

So what do you do to fix it? You can use the dashupdate found on most new xbox games! Be sure to 1st unplug your ethernet cable before you do so!!!

Besides that, just use a good installation disc and all is fine. Use a 2.6 slayer or something similar

8. micky124

micky124 Member

splinter cell saves have gone, ive tryed a new game to do the xbox live and it wont do it. slayers or auto installer wont even boot up in the xbox. when them disc's are in it changes from error 13 to error 14. only original games will boot. didnt get a chance to get the eprom from my xbox to my pc be for this happend.

9. theridges

theridges Guest

well looks like you might have to go get a modchip better start lookin around...