HDMI quit

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by chuckbear, Feb 24, 2008.

1. chuckbear

chuckbear Member

I get nothing from my DVD player when connected to my TV by the HDMI connection. The DVD is a Samsung DVD R155 player recorder and the TV is a Toshiba HD. I also have Dish receiver connected. Neither the Dish nor the DVD player comes through the HDMI but both come through the audio and video out from the Samsung. I don't have another devise to plug in. So my question, is there any way to test the cable, DVD player, or the TV to determine where the problem is?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Have they ever worked with HDMI, and just suddenly quit working? If they never worked using HDMI, check this:

Go into the Samsung's and Dish box's setup menus, and see if you have to choose HDMI as the output. Since most people don't use HDMI connections, I'm sure they aren't the factory default.

3. chuckbear

chuckbear Member

They were all working fine last night and have for months. Turn everything on this morning and that is when I noticed it quit.

4. chuckbear

chuckbear Member

just wanted to add, the dish is output to the DVD player input and the DVD player is output via HDMI to the TV. But neither the Dish or the DVD player with a DVD in it will show up on the TV now. As I said, this set up has been working for months.

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

If everything had been working before and now it's not, sounds like an issue with the settings. Did the power go out recently? If they were shut down improperly this may have caused all the settings to revert back to the factory default settings.

So you're saying they both work when using the RCA out connection? If so, do as JVC suggested and check to make sure that the DVD player is set to output via HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  6. chuckbear

chuckbear Member

DVD is a player/recorder Samsung R155 and does not have an option specific to HDMI output anywhere in the menu. It does give the options to 1080, 720, 460 and I have tried all three to see if that made a difference. No power interruptions since the clock would show it and it is plugged into a UPS so power can't be interrupted and it is surge protected. Very strange since this is a new unit, only a couple of months old and it has worked fine until the other day. Other than the HDMI everything works on the RCA cables fine.

7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Hmm, your right this is very strange. Well, if it was working before and now all of a sudden it's not, I'd say it's an issue with the hardware. And you did try hooking the satellite receiver up directly to the tv via HDMI?

I'm all outa ideas...

8. chuckbear

chuckbear Member

That is what I figured but.....which is it, the TV or the DVD player/recorder? That is the problem and I am not sure how to check it without extra equipment to plug in.