Help and Tips on Building a New Computer

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by rkade, Jan 10, 2009.

1. rkade

rkade Member

Hi, I want to build myself a gaming computer and looking to spend $1000-1300. I want to know what to do and what not to do, what I will need, etc. Please recommend any parts that would be great for a gaming computer.

Yesterday I just got a new video card (9800 GT) and for the first time, installed it by myself. It was a bit difficult since I didn't know what to do, but I read the instructions and now understand more about computers. There was a problem though, the card came with a plug with two plastic heads for the power supply cables (sorry, I don't know the correct terms), but my power supply could only connect into one. Is that a huge problem?

I'm new.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It is a problem, mainly because if the PSU only has one connector it probably isn't powerful enough. There are adapters you can buy to convert the PCI express power connector to a normal power supply connection, but if your PSU isn't strong enough to power the card, it could cause serious issues anyway.

With regard to the new system, what games do you intend to play, what size monitor will you be using, and do you need any peripherals? (Mouse/keyboard/monitor etc)

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If it is running off of one plug, then it is fine. The two plugs are usualy for power supplies that have multiple 12v channels.

Are you building a new computer or upgrading the old one? If upgrading, what system/parts do you already have?