help building website, first time doing it.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by truno, Sep 3, 2008.

1. truno

truno Member

So I am a complete newbie to web development. A friend of mine ( a really hot friend of mine) wants me to build a website for her dad. I fixed her computer once and now she thinks I'm some kind of super genius. Anyway I need help on were to start. I'm down for reading so any how to books will help. while at the library I found some good dream weaver and front page how to's .

So I've heard the easiest way to build a site is to use one of these programs. what's better front page or dream weaver? are there any other ones that do a better job?

like I said I'm a complete newb so please tell me where to start. Also is it easy building a web site or did I get myself into some shit?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. varnull

varnull Guest

The question that must be asked is "what sort of site do you need"?

If it's just a blog site there are plenty of free hosted "with templates installed ready to go" servers out there.. If you want more, a full site, then you have a lot of learning to do.

Have a look at this.. and do a bit of searching targeting the kind of site you want. http://www.masey.com.au/blog/index.php/2006/11/weebly-websites-for-dummies/

4. truno

truno Member

her father is the head of some neighborhood comity. He wants a site to display contact info, special event bulletins and neighborhood news. nothing to fancy. he just requires a domain name like johncomunity.com or something like that and that page to display some info on stuff. can I get a custom .com domain name from these blog servers?

5. shummyr

shummyr Regular member