help joing two pc's together

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by cphicks, Nov 16, 2008.

1. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

hi everyone, well heres a tester for all you clever people, unlike me hahaha i have a pc which is on the net. the otherone is not on the net, what i need to know is how do i join them together?? my friend told me just put another net work card in the pc which is on the net and put a cross over cable from that card to the pc which is not on the net then bridge them together, the question is how??? if you can help me, ill be very gratful and also if it is connected to the net (both of them) will i loose the connection from both of them, if i take the crossover cable out?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get a router as is easier to setup for the net.

3. cphicks

cphicks Regular member

hi ddp, well i have a router it has 3 spare cable sockets in the back so how do i do it? do i need another internet cable into to that then in to the second pc? and how about setting it up, sorry to be a pain but like i said ive never done this before, hope you can help. thanks again chris

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as long as other pc has an ethernet port then you just need a long straight thru ethernet cable from 1 of the router ports to the other pc. that is all you realy have to do as i do that all the time when working on a customer's pc on my work bench & want it to connect to the net for various updates.