Help On Digital Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by SkylineP, Jul 27, 2006.

1. SkylineP

SkylineP Member

Hello all, I have recently gotten in to recording things. More so because of the racing events I go to with friends, and also just family events, parties, fourth of July, etc. Ive been using my dads old Canon 8mm ES8400V, and decided it is time to move on to new cameras. More so digital considering I wont lose half the qualtiy as I do uploading from the 8mm through a tuner.
    I just graduated from high school, and my parents are willing to buy me a nice gift, and I decided that because my interest in recording has gone up, id like to have my own digital camcorder. I have talked to some of the camera guys on a local car forum who do take and record excellent footage. However, im trying to keep it under 1,000$, trying not to drain my parents. Anywho, one of the guys said I should look at the Panasonic PV-GS500, cost 750$. Heres a link to the camera http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=415307&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
    Anyways, I was wondering if this would be a good camera to start off with considering I have been practicing some time now with the old 8mm. Or is there a better camera to use that is still under the 1000$ price range.

Thanks for the help.

Kiel

2. behrad

behrad Regular member

hi SkylineP,

I dont have the same exact camera but i do have the model before this one (the GS-400) and I can tell you that this is a fine camera.

Panasonic cameras are well made and have great optics as well.

YOu would have years of great service with this one.

3. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

go to www.cnet.com and look at their camera reviews. i own a canon elura 100 for the time being and i like it

4. SkylineP

SkylineP Member

I checked C net. They give it a 6.8, they say its almost the exact same model as the 400, but most of the options are in the main menu, and the screen got a little smalled, and that dropped it about 2 points for that. But overall user rating was 8.1 so its looks good, but I figured id ask the men and woman who know what there doing.

5. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

use the cnet rating as a basis, a 6.8 isn't terrible, look at the user rating and see what kinds of comments they leave and u'll kno if its worth it for u