Help with Canon MV890 please. Newbie!!

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by shivermc, Jan 7, 2007.

1. shivermc

shivermc Member

Hi everyone. This is going to sound silly to lots of you out there who know a bit about this subject, but can someone please tell me what cables or equipment I need to transfer footage from camcorder to pc. Some people have mentioned Firewire cable and/or Firewire card.Do I need both of these? How do I know if its 4 or 6 pin? What is that anyway? Any help on where to get this equipment would be great also any help on what to do with it when I get it would be brilliant as well. Thanks in advance. Hope you can help me.

Regards
    shiver x

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I assume you have a minDV (or Digital8) camcorder.
    Indeed, you need a Firewire card in your PC. Many PC's these days have it as a standard on board. If not, you can buy them for $15 or even less. Go to any decent computer store or Google for Firewire card and you will find plenty online stores.
    Of course you also meed a cable. In most cases the camcorder has a 4-pin connection and a PC a 6-pin, so you need a 4 to 6 pin cable. Laptops have often 4-pin connections, so in this case you woud need a 4 to 4 pin cable. Just check your camcorder and your PC to find out.
    In order to understand the whole process and to see what you need, chekc this:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/tapetodvd.php

3. shivermc

shivermc Member

Thank you for replying it was very helpful. Can you recommend any particular brand and what transfer rate should I be looking for.
    regards

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Transfer rate of Firewire is standardized. Brand is also not important. Just buy the cheapest that you can get as long as it says IEEE1394a.