HELP with capturing footage

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by photogry, Jan 30, 2008.

1. photogry

photogry Member

Hi all

Im trying with no luck to get some footage from a mini dvd that was recorded of a mates wedding (not sure what DVD camera it was filmed on it was a family member) anyway I have borowed from another friend a DVD camera a canon DC230 in order to get the footage of and edit it for him, i can watch the footage in the camera fine, I understand that it might need to be finalized before i can even edit it on my computer....... is this correct and if so can i finalize it in the camera i borowed ?

I havent actually managed to see if it works with my editing program as it keeps telling me that the device is offline even tho its conected the computer, is this also something to do with the disk not being finalized.

Any help that anyone could give would be great as its driving me up the wall, im in New Zealand and my friend is in the UK so im trying to avoid sending the DVDs back to him to get them finalized.

Cheers

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

The miniDVD has to be finalized, but I don't know if you can use just any miniDVD camcorder to do it.

3. photogry

photogry Member

Hi GrandpaBW

Thank you for your response, i have now worked out that you can only use USB to edit DVD camera footage not firewire, so im waiting on a canon software disk as apparently thats the only way to capture footage from a canon DVD camera is with there sofware and then convert it and use another editing program to edit it..............

Fingers crossed that it works !

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I think that you have your terminology mixed up. What you are talking about is capturing the video, from the miniDVD, which isn't necessary, depending on what program that you are going to use to edit.

You simply copy the files, from the miniDVD, to your hard drive, open up whatever editing program you want to use, and bring in those files from your hard drive.

5. photogry

photogry Member

i spoke to a guy at the canon shop and he said to capture footage (from the camera to my computer) i have to use canon software - is this corect

Thank you for all you help with this, sorry to be a pain.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Not sure. What file format shows on the disc, when you finalize it? There should be a Video_TS folder on it, with .vob files and some other files in it.

7. photogry

photogry Member

I havent finalized it yet as im scared of wiping the footage from the disk, so i was going to wait and see if the canon software they are sending me lets me capture it.

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I hope it comes with a readme file, because I am pretty confused here. If you are going to use the Canon software, I would think the first thing that it will tell you to do is finalize the disc.

I also find it hard to believe that once you finalize that disc, you have to capture it, via USB, to use it in the software. I would think you could just pop that finalized disc into your DVD drive, copy the files to your hard drive, then use those in the software, but I could be wrong.

At any rate, I would think that the Canon software is limited in what editing you can do to the movie files.