help with xbox back up

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by blade003, Sep 6, 2006.

1. blade003

blade003 Guest

i am trying to back up need for speed most wanted. when i try to use nero it says illeagal disk. wjhen i try with img burn it does not work, it comes up with a error message. the same thing happpens with dvd decrypter. with nero i try to burn with iso and upd but none work. pls help

2. ds1615

ds1615 Guest

Look up Xplorer360. This is an essential part of putting things on your Xbox HDD. WARNING: This requires hotswapping. Hotswapping is where you have your xbox unlock the hdd and then attach it to your pc before it goes anywhere. or you can use hddunlock at www.hddunlock.com both methods are great. im currently using the hotswap method. im kind of scared to use the hddunlock program. =P

3. blade003

blade003 Guest

i am not trying to put the game on my hdd just on a verbatium dvd-r so i can put the disk in and play it on my modded xbox

4. ds1615

ds1615 Guest

TO back up the game...i suggest going ahead and burning the game to your hdd and hot swap and then transfer to your pc. then burn. or smartftp if you already have a modded xbox. that can do the same thing.

5. blade003

blade003 Guest

i know how to back up xbox game.i have FTP the files from my xbox and made an iso of the files. the problem is that when i try to burn the iso the peograms i use come up with this error message:

Error message: [02/30/05] - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

*edit* OK I AM TRYING ANOTHER BRAND DISK ( jvc) and it seems to be working. strange cos before i was using verbatiums. i heard it was very good media to use.

btw i have heard that my drive will only read dvd-r but the description for my mod chipsays it will read any. which is correct

*edit* when itry to boot the game wioth my modded xbox i launch the game but it just stays the starting screen and nothing happens. plzs help

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2006
  6. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Alright, let's tackle this one at a time...

How exactly are you backing up the game with FTP? Are you using dvd2xbox to rip it to the Xbox hard drive and then using an FTP client, or some other method? I recommend ripping it to the hard drive using dvd2xbox and then using Quix alongside Avalaunch to transfer it to your PC. Then burn to disc using ImgBurn.

Does your DVD drive have the latest firmware installed on it? Sometimes the firmware needs to be updated before it'll work with some brands. This should also improve the burner's success rate and burn quality.

All mod chips support all types of media. That's a given. However, depending on your Xbox's DVD drive, not all media will work on it. The mod chip has no control over whether or not your DVD drive will be able to read it or not. All it does is enable the ability to run unsigned code and back-ups.

If the back-up isn't working, then you probably didn't rip it properly... Try doing it the way I suggested and let me know how it goes.

7. blade003

blade003 Guest

i put the game in the xbox dvd drive then tranferend the game files to my pc. i then made a iso of the files using craxtion (i also tried quix) then i burned it using dvd decrypter and i have also used imgburn. When i put the game in the drive it shows the need for speed most wanted logo like it does on the original but then nithing happens. what am i doing wrong?

8. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Use dvd2xbox and rip it to the hard drive first. Some games have to be patched before they'll work properly as a back-up, and if you transfer files straight from the disc the default.xbe never gets patched. dvd2xbox will patch it automatically.

9. blade003

blade003 Guest

ok i will try that. i don't know if it matters but i clicked on patch xbe on craxtion, just in case that matters. i also tried it without that.

also i thorught you could not back up oringnal games to xbox hdd

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2006
  10. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I've never used Craxtion since I've always heard it was a bit shoddy when it came to iso creation. I prefer Quix since it has boost mode with Avalaunch.

Lots of people back-up originals to their Xbox hard drives. Don't know where you got that idea from.