help with xbox game downloads

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by maandoo, Dec 30, 2007.

1. maandoo

maandoo Member

hi everyone...

just had a quick question about downloading xbox games through torrent sites.

lets say i found a torrent for ninja gaiden black. the file is a gigantic .rar file.

once the download completes, do i need to decompress the .rar file and then use a program like qwix to create a .iso file from whatever files were in the .rar file?

also, there was one other torrent with a whole bunch of separate .r00, .r01, .r02, and so on..
    what are these files and what do i do with them?

i read through the forum and there was a lot of info on backing up games but i couldnt find any information on what to do with downloads and so forth~

thanks for all ur help.

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

3. maandoo

maandoo Member

i think i understand it a lil more now...
    i guess i wont completely get it until i actually
    try it for myself.
    i have a few more questions, though.

1. .r00, .r01, .r02, etc. files are all compressed files that can be decompressed with winrar? after decompressing, i will be given a .cue and .bin file and i burn the .cue file as an image onto my dvd-r. so essentially, i treat the .cue file like a .iso file? what are the differences between the two and why do people use both types instead of just one of them?

2. for all those .rXX files, what if i mistakingly moved .r15, for example, to another folder? that means a piece of the 'tent' is not available and cannot be erected, rite? so does that mean there will be some kind of error and i wont be given a .bin and .cue file? just curious....

thanks for your help!!

4. GotB

GotB Member

It's easy once you get used to it :)

The .r00, .r01, .r02 files are basically one whole .rar archive split up into sections (Usually 64mb per section). Just double click on one of the files and use the Winrar Wizard to select where you want your files extracted too.

A .cue file basically IS a .iso file. I don't know the exact difference but I've never really looked into it, nor have I had any problems (If you download a program called ImgBurn it'll always put you on the right track. Very handy little program!) with any image files.

If you move a .rXX file the wizard will extract the data up until that particular file, at that point it will present you with an error message and will ask you to show the program where the file is so it can continue the extraction.

I hope this helps you! :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. maandoo

maandoo Member

awesome...

now i have to freakin' wait about two days for
    my download to finish.

im using torrents at the moment,
    but is there a faster and more reliable
    way than that?
    i wasted a whole day downloading a .iso
    that couldnt open.
    error said the file is damaged or something like that....

thanks again!

6. GotB

GotB Member

Well, obviously I'm not promoting the downloading of games, but UseNet is an option (Have to pay for it).