Hey DRD, I have a question

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Guido09, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Guido09

Guido09 Member

Okay- I have read through all the posts and noticed that, according to you, can't use a DVD-RAM drive for backing up DVDs. Is there any way to use it? I was told that you could. Why would people want it if it's useless?

thanks-

2. Guido09

Guido09 Member

Also- is there any stand alone player that plays DVD-RAMs? Thanks a lot in advance

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

DVD-RAM was designed to replace floppy disk and CDRW as a backup mechanism of data. DVD-RAM discs can only be read with DVD-RAM drives -- normal PC's DVD-ROM drive or any of the stand-alone DVD players simply can't read the discs. At all (unlike DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W) which both can be read with most DVD-ROM drives and most stand-alone DVD players).

Sorry mate, you've stucked with expensive floppy drive.

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I don't think these units are being shipped overseas, but Toshiba have a few standalone units in Japan equipped with DVD-RAM/R and HDD for video recording such as this one:

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/dvd/j/recorder/rdx2/graph/rdx2_b.jpg

Panasonic may have something similar.

Probably not a bad unit if you want to use these units like VCRs since they allow you to edit the video on HDD to the DVD-RAM/R. I wouldn't personally recommend the DVD-RAM units for PC usage though. They are big floppies unless your friends all have these Toshiba's.