HHO Gas

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pollution, Jun 5, 2009.

1. pollution

pollution Regular member

Has anyone on here put a HHO thing in there vehicle and seen it work?
    I have scoured the internet for information but it seems everyone is trying to just sell something and not actually provide sound proof at all. I do not see people posting online about how it worked either so I am curious if they feel too stupid to post they fell for a scam or does it actually work.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is hho?

3. pollution

pollution Regular member

4. varnull

varnull Guest

It's a complete scam .. don't fall for it.

They call a mix of hydrogen and oxygen cracked from water "hydroxy" .. takes 4 units of engine power to get (under ideal conditions) 1 unit of gas .. you will actually burn more fuel unless you are prepared to invest thousands of pounds and many many months of work building a system which approaches rocket science engineering.

These coils of wire in a bottle across the battery are complete garbage.. the ideal voltage per cell.. actually the maximum conversion arrives at 1.6 volts per cell.. the rest is wasted heating the electrolyte..

I was asked by somebody a few months ago about this and did the maths.. it doesn't work unless you spend thousands on a thing you couldn't carry around anyway.

There are ways to crack water in a more efficient way using tuned capacitive cells across a high frequency pulsed power source.. they look something like a submarine battery.. or a church pipe organ.. and about the same size and weight.. but again.. well outside the realms of anybody but a scientist... and the resulting gas mixture is highly explosive..

read this and you will see what a scam and a pack of lies these simple coil of wire in a bottle schemes are.. http://witcombe.sbc.edu/water/chemistryelectrolysis.html

for a better example of the science have a read of this..
    http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/splitting-water-into-hydrogen-and-oxygen/

and if you search properly (sorry.. lost my links a while ago after working out a fuel cell to generate as much power as a £2 pack of batteries.. or as much as I can get from the mains for 17p would cost over £1500 .. and another £1200 for the solar panels) you will find some amazing science.. and some awesome pictures to look at.. real science where real scientists are trying to work out how they appear to be getting more than 100% efficiency.. but it's rocket science right now.

sorry to burst your bubble and expose these wires in a bottle for the scam they are.. you will take more energy from your engine making the gas than the gas can ever return.. overall loss of efficiency and a wasting of fuel and money.

I posted here about this at the time.. maybe I linked to the real maths and most efficient possible designs then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2009
  5. aldan

aldan Active member

varnulls right.in my 25 years or so as an auto mechanic ive seen it all.these things are not worth the powder to blow them to hell.JMHO.Al

6. pollution

pollution Regular member

aldan have you actually seen someone try one?

7. varnull

varnull Guest

I have.. they don't work .. they don't work on paper and they don't work in reality.. and because they do produce a miniscule amount of highly explosive gas they can in theory seriously damage your engine... and lots of countries have regulations about having explosive gases near sources of combustion.

it's all a fraud .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer

these devices have been around for over 100 years.

now to totally debunk all this rubbish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water#Efficiency

8. pollution

pollution Regular member

Thanks varnull.
    That is what I was looking for, someone to say they have seen these things not work.

9. varnull

varnull Guest

No worries.. the maths proves you will take always take more energy from the system than you are putting in .. 1st law of thermodynamics.

Something else I didn't even factor in is the best IC engines only have a fuel to power conversion ratio of around 40% .. not a lot of point taking another 5% of that final energy to create "fuel" which at best can put back only 70% .. and that's a hell of an optimistic figure.. of that 5%.

These devices will actually cause an increase in overall fuel consumption .. the engine has to supply that power from somewhere and it's only source is from the fuel it burns..

There are other problems too which nobody (well a few have) taken into account.. modern computer fuel/efficiency management systems. ghanging the fuel/air mix will screw with those and pretty much guarantee damage.. There are real witness reports of people testing these devices and either burning more fuel or seeing changes because they change the way they drive.

One university test I remember reading reported a 0.5% increase in fuel efficiency over a vehicle where the equipment was carried but not turned on .. but overall a loss of 8% against the same vehicle without any modifications at all.

Of course the scammers will have thousands of people saying otherwise on their sites.. like all good snake oil sellers they sound so convincing.. that's the old con artist trick all over again.. placebo effect.. a known and proven fact. If you think it's saving you money maybe you use your car less.. or you drive differently because you are thinking efficient.... it can't possibly be from a device which at best on a single cell made of a couple of bits of wire twisted in a jar is making 1.5 litres of gas a minute taking engine power to do it (that takes something like 40AH to make that much gas.. the entire output of the alternator .. not free power.. actually a significant drag.. perhaps 10% of the engine power on a small engine) and feeding that gas into an engine sucking in 2500 litres of air a minute idling .. now you see how ridiculous all these 20 and 30% efficiency gains look?

NASA in the 60's got a boost.. using bottled hydrogen . the way forward is the hydrogen fuel cell and electric motors.. these cars exist .. but only 5% of the worlds hydrogen is obtained from renewable sources.. solar/electrolytic (because it is so inefficient) ..all the rest is coming from the same fossil fuels. It may be clean to burn hydrogen.. but how clean is it to make it??

10. ferguj1

ferguj1 Active member

That is an excellent point Varnull, and one that many overlook. Either blinded by the hype or just fail to research. Trying to find cleaner fuels and energy sources is a great idea. But pushing the technology out there before it is actually ready, could and will have a negative effect.