Hi8, Digital 8. what the diff? HELP

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by afcReyes9, Oct 24, 2005.

1. afcReyes9

afcReyes9 Member

G'day
    im thinking of purchasing a secondhand camcorder which im going to be using for editing in adobe premier pro... and i was wanting to know the difference between hi8 and digital 8? i know that digital 8 is better for editing but i was curiuos to know the differences of the two... also can u use digital8 [bold]and[/bold] hi8 tapes in a sony CCD-TRV49E?? or just hte hi8 tapes? help will be very appreciated!!!
    cheers

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Vey simple: Hi8 is analog and Digital8 is digital.
    The quality of digital is better and you can tranfer it easier to your PC for editing.

3. Dm3k1

Dm3k1 Member

sorry to bring this one back up, but this statement makes me chuckle. THEY ARE BOTH ANALOG, anything on a tape is analog. Including minidv (which is the same as d8 just uses smaller tapes), why they call it digital is because you have the option of loading it through to your computer through a digital output. The difference between d8 and hi8 is that d8 sports more lines of resolution than a hi8... Even hi8's can be loaded up to a computer using s-video outs

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You're mistaken here, Dm3k1.
    Digital camcorders translate the video (and audio) into digital information, meaning bits and bytes (discrete 1's and 0's).
    Analog camcorders store the video (and audio) signal by AC modulation.

5. Dm3k1

Dm3k1 Member

Sorry, let me restate; The both record onto an analog device, hence they are theoretically analog.. correct? Now, the difference between hi8 and d8 is the resolution AND that they call it digital because you can record it onto the computer using a digital output (firewire) (and yes i will record into digital information using little 1's and 0's). Hi8's anolog as well can still be recorded to your computer, but through an analog device.

Does that clear it up?

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

@Dm3k1
    No that's not correct. Computers have used tape for storage for decades. DVDs are sent to mastering houses on DLT tape. In fact you can't put CSS protection on a disc without authoring to DLT.

miniDV and Digital8 are both digital formats. The digital signal is stored on the tape, meaning that it's transferred to your hard drive the same way it is on the tape. Analog signals, like High 8 or VHS have to be converted to digital before you store it on your hard drive. IIRC a Digital8 camcorder does the conversion for you on a High8 analog recording so you can transfer to your computer using firewire, but with a Digital8 recording there's no conversion involved in the transfer.

Is there an analog component involved? I suppose there is to a certain point, but you get that in all digital systems. The internet connection you're using to read this is carried on an analog signal to your house. That doesn't mean it's not digital.

Edited to correct information about Digital8

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  7. Dm3k1

Dm3k1 Member

Thanks for clarifying