Highest Quality DV Capture/Transfer?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by scuba329, Jun 4, 2005.

1. scuba329

scuba329 Member

Okay. I've seen posts asking this kind of question, but none really answer me. I have a MiniDV Sony HC40 camcorder. It can record 690,000 pixels. However, all of my capture programs capture at 640x480 (about 300,000 pixels). It seems to be a longshot, but is there any possible way of transferring my full 690,000-pixel native resolution onto my computer hard drive?

It seems pointless to have a 690,000 resolution potential in my camcorder and only capture half of that.

Any feedback helps. I'm just a bit clueless about this.

Will using an HD MiniDV cassette help? Probably not, if my camcorder cannot record to it any better.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Don't confuse the number of pixels on your camcorder with the framesize of the video. These are completely different things.

Your camcorder records DV-AVI, which has a framesize of 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC).

If you are capturing to 640x480, you're not getting the best results (my guess is that you are using USB). Use a Firewire connection and you will end up with 720x576 (or 480) which is maximum achievable quality with miniDV.

3. behrad

behrad Regular member

Also, dont forget that some of the output of those pixels quoted is being used to steady the shot (if your camera does not have optical means to steady the shot).
    As TPFKAS has said, the two things are not the same. YOu should use Firewire and use the defualt max resolution for DV subject to your country's video standard: [ PAL or NTSC ]