Home Networking Boost

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by skeldon, Dec 19, 2010.

1. skeldon

skeldon Member

Not sure if I am in the right place, but worth a try.

Presently have my wireless router upstairs wired direct to the main pc upstairs. Downstairs, I have a Ps3, Wii and two laptops which all were working perfect, getting speeds of around 15mb of a 20mb broadband. Recently moved the PS3 and Wii in to the conservatory, and the speeds have reduced signifantly, although the distance to the router is similar. With this in mind, along with sky recently introducing anytime+ and the 3d tv having web tv, firstly, wondering if there is such a device that allows me to extend the wireless range but also has the capability of ethernet connection from the wireless device, which would allow me to use Sky and the internet tv without having to spend £60 on each wireless dongle they require and additionally improve the ps3? If there is not such a device, I do know, but cant seem to find exactly what Im lookin for when it comes to a wireless extender, someone point me in the right direction for a cheap one, uk based, that when located where the ps3 used to be, will improve the signal to the conservatory which is only around 7metres away from the lounge. Cabling the property a no go hence the enquiry.

Many Thanks

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

think about how these wireless routers work.. they don't push signal out in every direction.. onmidirectional doesn't mean spherical.. it means in a rather narrow circle .. like a classic flying saucer.. obviously outside the main walls of the house is on the edge of the dispersal pattern.. try just tilting the vertical antenna towards the outside location for starters.

3. skeldon

skeldon Member

Thanks for the advise. I have tried altering the antenna, but the improvement is very minor. To explain in a little more detail, the router is located in the bedroom upstairs, directly below is the dining area in which the lounge and conservatory are on either side, similar distance apart. PS3 was previously in the lounge with impressive speeds, antennna was pointing up the way. Now the PS3 has basically went from one side of the antenna to the other. Reason I was thinkin of an extender is as mentioned, perfect signal before, so I was thinking of placing the antenna in that location with the ps3 only 7 metres in a straight line with no blockages (patio doors are left open permanently. Additionally, as mentioned, I was hopeful that there would be some device that would allow ethernet connections from an extender as such, which would not only improve the signal to the ps3, but would allow useage of sky anytime+ and the internet tv.