How can I dowload good quality video from MiniDV?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by tvbpathi, Jun 26, 2005.

1. tvbpathi

tvbpathi Member

Hi

I have SONY TRV27 MiniDv camcorder. I would like make couple of MiniDv to DVD/CD's. I am unable to download with good video quality even though I am using iLink (IEEE 1394) port. Now Very Poor quality video downloading from MiniDV using iLink (IEEE 1394).

I appreciate if any suggestions to improve my video quality. Please help me to understand to improve video quality.

Please find the hardware configuration

Laptop : TOSHIBA - Satellite 5005–S504

Processor
    Intel Pentium III 1.10GHz (1100MHz) processor
    Integrated co-processor

L2 Cache Memory
    256KB Level 2 cache integrated on die
    100MHz front side bus clock speed
    Main Memory
    512MB SDRAM

Graphics/Video
    15.0” TFT color LCD active-matrix display (XGA) Internal display supports up to 16M colors at 1024 x 768

Graphics Controller
    NVIDIA GeForce2Go graphics controller
    • 183MHz DDR Bus Clock Speed
    • 16MB DDR external video memory
    3D Graphics Accelerator, AGP bus support
    2D Graphics Accelerator, BitBLT hardware, Hardware cursor, Direct Draw support

Any Help & Suggestion is appreciated.

Help Needed.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Are you sure you are loosing quality? Maybe it just does not look OK when played on your PC.
    don't know what you are using for capture and if you are doing any direct encoding. Try one of the freeware capturing utilities found at http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php If the material still does not look OK when using one of these tools, it is not the quality of the material that is bad, but it is your machine not being able to generate good quality during playback.

3. howndawg

howndawg Member

I've tried capturing video via Firewire on laptops in the past and always have had problems with them. Particularly on laptops of 1.5GHZ or less, even though the manufacturer claims seamless Firewire operation. It appears that the hardware architecture of the laptop itself, places a bandwidth restriction on the entire system. Unlike very wide bandwidth operation on desktop type PC's Firewire shares the PCI bridge in PC architectures. Other PCI based devices on the bus will take bandwidth even when capturing. I'm not sure when you talk about reduced quality of the video pix itself is bad due to DV hardware engine artifacts in the camera or is the video actually skipping frames once it plays back on the PC. You can verify this by taking your pre-recorded mini-DV tape and re-capture the video contents on another PC machine. If it is still bad, then the video encoded to tape while recording is bad, not your backend.