how connect two computers together?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by WTWalker1, Oct 12, 2007.

1. WTWalker1

WTWalker1 Member

ya wondering how to connect two computers together using a usb cord, do you have you have spacial software to do it or something else i just don't know if anyone could help me that would be great, please and thanks!

2. seb32

seb32 Regular member

I'm not really sure, but I've heard that if you just plug a regular USB cable into two computers, it will fry the USB board, so don't try that. I think that you have to purchase a special cable, but I don't really know, so some help from someone who knows would be appreciated.

3. Phlax

Phlax Guest

I don't think you can link computers via USB..

Ethernet though, that's another option :)

4. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

Don't quote me but I believe the ethernet cable would have to have one end inverted to work PC to PC and even then you need to set up a network for them to communicate.

I believe the other option is going through a router but you still need to set up the network.

Maybe if you tell us a little about what you wanna do, we can offer more options.

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the direct connection would utilize a crossover cable, which is basically an ethernet cable with the wiring routed differently on one end, as tko said. as said, you would still have to network.

6. krondalix

krondalix Member

You can't connect two PC by USB cable for two reasons
    1st: USB is for device use only and a PC is composed by 10 devices so another pc wouldn't find a driver to install it.
    (don't laugh too loud probably two pc similar would work with a special program, probably good for entreprise utility).

2nd: If there was possible to do that, ethernet cables would be deleted ^^;

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

ethernet can use a faster transfer rate than usb; i don't think you can say they would fall into disuse by any means.

8. krondalix

krondalix Member

yes you're right ^^; but i've never downloader upper than 1Mb/s on internet and the usb transfer rate is preety good so that's it ¬.¬

9. banmrk

banmrk Guest

Connecting a computer to another computer directly with an Ethernet cable is possible, as I have done it. You do need to set up a network to access the other pc but this connection is unstable. The best method is to set it through a router (as some said above), this way the network setup is easier and better to maintain.

USB oonnecting, I do not know but to honest I would not do it that because of the different operating sytems.

Banmrk

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

krondalix, can connect 2 pc's via usb as i've got the cable for it as it was manufactured to do that.

11. seb32

seb32 Regular member

YES, I knew that something like that existed! (lol)

EDIT: It's called a "USB-USB Cable", check out this page.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007