How do I install software, codecs, etc onto an external harddrive?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hrsyinc, Nov 4, 2007.

1. hrsyinc

hrsyinc Member

The pc at work recently crashed and when they reinstalled windows xp pro sp2, they didn't install any dvd software, codecs, etc. I have permision from my boss to watch movies on the PC when on the night shift but the IT department is dragging their feet installing the software as it obviously isn't a priority for them. I have 2 external hard drives(1 2.5" 60gb, 1 3.5" 250gb) that use usb 2.0 and I figure there has got to be some software out there that will allow me to install the needed software on to the external and run it on the work computer. I looked into MojoPac but I can't use it as I don't have administative rights (which is the problem in the first place). Any ideas?

I want to install:
    firefox + extentions
    klite mega codec pack
    windvd
    netflix online movie viewer
    possibly photoshop and flash

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

fist off you have to make sure that your external DVD is being recognized by the computer so you can use the external drive! windows should automatically install the drive. You can check by going into My Computer and see if your external drive is showing there!

If you are on a network where you can't get to MyComputer or you don't have rights to do anything then you might be limited and not be able to even install a program without administrator rights. but you can try.

here is a free program that you can install and see if your DVD can play: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm
    see if you can install this and play your DVD. good luck.

another thing is ......... you don't install programs onto your external drive!
    you install the programs in the computer.... not IN your drive. the only thing that goes into your drive is firmware.... Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also adds more media codes and write strategies to the drive to improve burning capabilities and disk recognition.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  3. hrsyinc

hrsyinc Member

huh? I have 2 external hard drives not external dvd drives

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Sorry ........ I thought you had external DVD drives...... you have external Hard Drives that already have movies on them.... when you bought the hard drives, didn't it come with software to install the drives?

5. hrsyinc

hrsyinc Member

They are just regular old external hard drives, drag and drop. The problem is that the work pc has no codecs or media software and I can't install it. Thats why I am trying to find a way to run all this off the externals.

6. seb32

seb32 Regular member

The PC you're looking at should have Windows Media player at least... it's not very good, but it'll let you watch movies. Otherwise, I think that you're stuck. When you install a program, it not only installs files, it also installs registry keys, sometimes services, etc. If it was only files, you could put that on your HD, but for the other stuff you need admin privileges. So... I'd say you're out of luck on this one :)