How do I save my video to my computer for editing and long term storage?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by lovnlex, Nov 9, 2005.

1. lovnlex

lovnlex Member

I have a Hitachi dz-mv730a that uses the DVD-RAM/-R discs and can play my movies back on my computer(XP)but it won't let me save them to my hard drive. I think I have a codec problom but how do I know what I need to get?

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

No, you don't have a codec problem because if you would, you would not be able to play the video.
    You can simply copy the files from your DVD to the hard drive and you can play this set of file using a program like WinDVD or PowerDVD. If you want to save it as a single movie file, you will have to extract the MPEG out of the files.

3. kenraq

kenraq Member

I have the same video camera but I cant seem to play the mini dvd's on my computer at all! Is it a problem with my drive or do I just need software?

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You need to finalize the DVD on your camcorder before you can play it on your PC.

5. heilung05

heilung05 Member

What is the life span of a DVD? Does writing on the back with any kind of pen deteriorate it? I have some metal daguerrotype prints that have lasted about 150 years, so I hope to equal that, at least.
    Heilung

6. kenraq

kenraq Member

Is it only dvd-r discs that you need to finalize or do I need to do it with my dvd-ram discs too? and if I can finalize my dvd-ram's, are they still rewritable?

7. calpoly

calpoly Member

"and if I can finalize my dvd-ram's, are they still rewritable?"

- I too am having problems figuring out how do anything with the RAM discs. I can't even get my computer to recognize the disc through a drive or even USB cable.

8. kenraq

kenraq Member

After searching around and asking questions for a week I've come to the conclusion that you need a fairly new dvd burner to read the DVD-RAM discs. I went to a computer store and they told me I could get one for $89(aus) which is pretty good.
    My camera doesnt have usb which sucks, meaning I cant copy to the computer and edit till I purchase the new dvd burner/drive.

I think most drives and dvd players will read DVD-R discs, but they aren't rewriteable and I havent tried yet.

If anyone reading this knows for sure can you please let us all know becuase this is only what im coming to understand and am not at all sure on the subject.

9. calpoly

calpoly Member

kenraq, nice to know I'm not alone :) I don't understand why it doens't say anywhere in my 160 page manual or even on the RAM disc packages themselves that a RAM drive is necessary... I'm now regretting my choice of camera but oh well.

10. kenraq

kenraq Member

yeah well I was going to buy one of the new jvc everio g series, but the guy talked me into buying a dvd one. and i guess for a good reason too; "if its stolen or dropped, you lose everything" but even still, I really miss the use of a usb plug.

I recorded some great footage tonight (drinking and burnouts) on a regular dvd-r disc that I'm going to test out on the computer and dvd player tomorrow. I think theyre meant to work on most dvd readers.
    But even still, Im a bit pissed off he "forgot" to mention that I need a brand spanking dvd burner to play the RAM discs as they'll be the ones I'm using most!!

Anyway, I'll let you know how the DVD-R discs go when I try them in the morning.

-Ryan