How do you transfer vids from camcorder to pc?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by DAnj00, Jul 20, 2007.

1. DAnj00

DAnj00 Member

my mom purchased a canon dc50 without letting me know from other country she bought it for 1000 a big ripp off and i hate this camcorder since i can't even get a refund...anyway i recorded videos using mini dvd rw and
    I THOUGHT transfering this file to pc was going to be easy just like digital camera i was expecting a plug in and drag file but that wasnt the case

i connected the usb and the dvd icon was at my my computer and wanted to gain access and it said its wrong system... so i took out the dvd and inserted on my cd/dvd burner drive and it said it was empty...i never knew this would be difficult. So my camcorder is just sitting for months
    since i can't even transfer the file and i am pissed at my mom for buying this piece of crap for 1000 when its 500...

so i would appreciate is anyone can help to work this junk

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You have to finalize the disc, while it is in the camcorder. Otherwise, your computer won't see the data on the disc.

3. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

Hope it's ok if I jump in with a related question.

So once you finalize the mini-disk and are dealing with a format that the PC can see, what's the best way to combine video from say 3 of those disks (approx 2 hours worth) and burn to a dvd?

BTW, where were you in 'Nam? I was in Soc Trang (IV Corps)with MACV from '67-'68. 96D20 M.O.S. but did mostly interrogation in an S-2 unit with ARVN counterparts.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I was down in the Mekong Delta - Bin Thuey/Cantho.

Once that mini DVD is finalized, copy the folders to your hard drive.

I don't know what software you have for burning. I use Roxio EMC 7.5 and Roxio EMC 9.

With the EMC 9, I can use Disc Copier to browse the files on my computer, and add 2 or 3 different home movies to burn on on disc.

5. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

I was at Rocket City (Da Nang) from 1968-1969 USAF.

6. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

I have the purchased versions of Nero (Suite 7 I think) and DVD Shrink (3.2) but I'm certainly not real proficient at either one.

Cantho was not too far from Soc Trang. Wasn't that where the 9th Infantry was? Had a good friend from Maryland there same time as me.
    Thanks again for the advice.

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@DAnj00,
    Which format does the camcorder record in? PAL, NTSC or SECAM?
    Depending upon which region of the world you are in, the video devices use a different format. Here in the United States, Canada, and I think Mexico we use the NTSC system, which is totally different from the PAL System in use throughout Europe. (Not sure where SECAM is used but It hink it is in Asia or Southeast Asia) You mentioned purchasing the camera in another country, which one, and in which country do you reside? This may shed some light why you are having problems transferring vid files onto your PC.

BTW, a salute to all you Vietnam Vets out there, and a belated thank you for a job well done.

8. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

Thanks and you're welcome.
    Actually I think it was DAnj00 that said his mother got the camera from another country. I just kind of jumped into the thread. Mine is a Sony DCRDVD108 purchased where I live in the USA.

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Yes, Soc Trang was somewhat close, but I was never there. I did find out something frightening, just now, when I did a search on Bihn Thuy. The ammo dump that I worked right next to (100') took rocket hits shortly after I left. I am lucky that I wasn't still there. The first line in my signature just took on more meaning.

http://www.cantho-rvn.org/binh-thuy.html

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  10. waltinvt

waltinvt Member

What'd ya mean you're lucky? If you'd still been there how would I ever get an answer to my mini-dvd questions? LoL.

BTW, I had a 2nd Lt (Army) in our S-2 that came in in early '68 who's last name was Wallace - man I haven't thought of him in years. Probably no relation huh?
    Hope no one get's po'd at me over all this off-topic stuff.

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

No, he wasn't a relative of mine. :) I too, hope no one gets ticked because of the drift, here.

I did some more searching and found out the explosions from the ammo dump went on for 8 hours. The photo, in that URL was taken from the guy's barracks in Cantho, looking back towards Bihn Thuy, where I is was located.

BTW, thank you Blivet.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007