How Many People Are Moderators?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Seraphim6, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Seraphim6

Seraphim6 Member

It seems to me like there is an unusually high ratio of regular posters to moderators. am i right? if you ar a moderator, why are there so many of you? ;)

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

ON the ratio no ideas but moderators do a great job on this site

far better than other sites I frequent

DaOsT

3. Seraphim6

Seraphim6 Member

no offense, but that motto you have on you signature (live forever or die trying) seems contradictory to what your others are saying. that implies that you will live as safely as possible. Dunno about you, but that would seem a little boring

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

We need many moderators because without them we are a bunch of hooligans.

5. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

i dont think there is really that many of us, maybe around 50 or less, not sure. but considering that aD has over 100,000 registered members, i'd say that ratio is pretty bad, no wonder we are so damn busy all the time, ya hooligans!! :)

6. devil60

devil60 Guest

DaOsT

Read the Forum rules!

6. No foul language.

That goes for signatures as will

The Moderator needs to get on the ball and we need more Moderators

7. darthnip

i know what you mean, but more mods might present a problem in itself. just like when members start fighting, a mod has to step in. if there too many mods and they started fighting with each other or something, then the admins would have to step in. The whole idea of that is just kinda silly and a waste of time in my opinion. having just a few mods to cover each forum keeps it plain and simple, and there's very little chance of conflict since all we do is enforce the rules. keep in mind that these are just my opinions, it's not my site and i'm not associated with it in any way other than moderating in the forums. hell who knows, maybe the admins will go all crazy and have a mod for each member in the future, who knows. until then, i encourage members and Sr. members to PM me or any other mod if they see something that violates the rules of the forums, or is in some way questionable and should be looked at.

8. devil60

devil60 Guest

As for me and the way I look at this and other boods all you Moderatosrs work hard. Yes I do say it like it is and that can get me in hot water just as it did in the Marines. [bold]Each member is in a way a Moderatosr it is up to all of us to Moderatosr what we say and do[bold]

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

There is only an unusual ratio cuz Me and Dela arent posting as much as we used to :p Me because of school and Dela cuz of his ISP :p
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  10. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We have exactly 14 moderators for our English forums and 3 moderators for our Finnish forums. And out of that number, some of the mods have "retired" long time ago, but retain their mod rights -- its one of those dRD given rights that can't be taken away ;-)

We have wayyy over 100,000 registered users, English forums (excl DXC forums) have over 200,000 messages and Finnish forums have over 75,000 messages.

Currently we get over 1,000 new messages to our forums daily.

Summary: Wouldn't say that there are too many mods, I would actually argue the exact opposite even though we're not "hiring" new mods right now, but have plans to add one or two later this year. It might _seem_ that we have tons of mods as our mods generally speaking are at the top of the forum post charts as well -- Dela has more msgs in these forums than I have :)

Mod doesn't -- in my opinion -- need to know everything about everything. Mods don't exist for that purpose. Their purpose is to moderate forums -- i.e. ban morons who violate against forum rules, delete spam from forums, control the flow of discussion, break occassionally legs from people who spam forums (well, that's normally left for Loaded, he likes that stuff ;-), etc..
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/[/small]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  11. darthnip

yeah! what Da boss said!! :)

p.s. - Loaded isn't the only one that excels in "that" area. ;)

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I like the mod ratio here, or the good number of active mods. Keeps this site one of the best, and very acurate. Some other sites are terrible for leading people down the garden path. Good work all.

13. devil60

devil60 Guest