how to convert my hp mini notebook running a linux os to windows os

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rgmanalo, Nov 8, 2008.

1. rgmanalo

rgmanalo Member

Hello

I recently bought an HP Mini notebook that runs a linux Os. i wish to convert the OS from Linux to Windows XP.
    Can you help me on how i can do this step by step

thanks
    Russel

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the make & model# of it so can see the specs on it?

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Just why would you want to ruin it by doing a stupid thing like that?

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hehe, i recently did the same thing with my new Acer Aspire One, Linpus Lite that it came with kept freezing up the machine. XP works great and i'm putting a.n.other flavour of Linux on it as a dual-boot when i settle on which flavour suits it best.

5. rgmanalo

rgmanalo Member

It is An HP Mini notebook Model 2133.
    its processor is a C7-M ultra mobile processor.I just would like to know if it is possible to make the conversion Because i did not knew then that linux os was not user friendly. hope you can help me with this concern of mine. Thanks

6. varnull

varnull Guest

I can't be arsed.. sometimes you "windows windows windows" people make me f--king sick with your sheeple behaviour...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2008
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

For crying out loud, get a grip, girl!

9. d12c20y

d12c20y Member

I have an Aspire One with the 8 gig SSD. Came with Linpus. It stopped recognizing the network cards (both wired and wireless). I installed Mandriva 2009. That works pretty good. Little on the slow side. I tried installing XP Home with SP3 and it would not load past the splash screen for XP. I am downloading debian right now to try that and see if that is any better. I've never tried that distribution. I've tried installing other distributions but was only successful with Mandriva. Anyone have any better ideas for my netbook?

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I haven't finished settling on a Linux distro for my (dual-boot) Aspire One, i've tried TinyMe, Mandriva, Puppy and it's now got MiniMe 2008 on it. I haven't got the wireless working on any of those distributions yet, the Acer has the appalling Atheros chipset. I could cheat and add one of a few spare Broadcom-chipset USB wifi sticks but just can't be bothered at the moment. The Acer stays is a torrent machine primarily so am afraid it stays in XP for days at a time. (At least i can verify how stable the Acer is).

It's easier if i paste in replies from other threads for my other comments..

from http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/721178/4383473 ->

from http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/15677.cfm ->

Wifi is now working on the Acer, a couple reboots of the routers sorted out the connection issue i was having. Have since upped the security on my routers to WPA2 and the Acer (in XP anyway) is working fine with WPA2 (WPA2 running over WDS in DD-WRT firmware across 2 routers, sometimes 3 routers).

I should add that i don't/won't use SP3, this is only because i don't allow Microsoft's Automatic Updates on my machines and i'll wager SP3 will only install if your updates are quite current (i'm on SP2 and don't have any Auto Updates of any kind installed since from when SP2 first came out). That said i do believe in keeping machines up to date, but only Linux ones (lost my faith in Microsoft long ago, i don't want any of their snooping updates on my machines).

Basically, as i say, i haven't persevered with Linux on the Acer, this is due me having various other Linux machines already. Any distribution of Linux should work i imagine, the Acer is a normal PC with a slightly odd screen resolution of 1024x600 at the end of the day, plus in your case with SSD, and again the SSD is the same difference as a hard disk albeit slower (and smaller - but you can add larger SD cards which in Linpus are auto-added to the 8GB in-built SSD).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008