How to create a USB Drive Auto-start Menu?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by varxtis, Jan 25, 2010.

1. varxtis

varxtis Member

I had no clue where this question goes so Im sorry if Im in the wrong area.
    You know how you insert A videogame or Application CD/DVD and it opens a menu window automatically. . . Well I used to work with this guy at one of my old jobs who created a similar menu for his 4G USB Drive.
    Does Anyone know how to create those or a program to do it? I want to create one thats similar to a DVD Menu with an animation.
    Any help in regards to how you create those, or at least what the technical term is for it so I can do some better searching would be really appreciated.

2. snowscar

snowscar Member

I think what you are talking about is a program that is set off using the autorun.inf file.

When you insert the USB disk you want the program to start up. So basically u need to have a program in the first place, maybe made with flash. Then use autorun.inf file to launch it when the disk is plugged in.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  3. varxtis

varxtis Member

First off, Thank you very much for your response and for your time. I appreciate it. So, the Autorun.inf would only be Program/Application specific? I wouldnt be able to use it as something like a directory map, listing the documents and videos contained on the usb drive?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

snowscar, edit that link out of your sig ASAP. posts edited
    1. Advertising via forum messages is strictly prohibited. If you need to advertise your products on our site, contact us via the feedback form and we will negotiate an advertising contract with you/your company.
    3. Providing affilate tagged links to products or services is not allowed.

5. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

It is just like making a CD/DVD/BD autorun...you can even copy the contents of a CD to a flash drive and you will copy the autorun with it. You can even use the autorun.inf file to specify an icon for the flash drive. Just make sure not to use any driveletters in the autorun file...it may pass the test on your system, but then it will fail on other systems.

6. varxtis

varxtis Member

Okay, so if I understand right, my original thinking was flawed and in turned I asked the wrong question. Apparently the autorun.inf file itself cannot be a menu or anything, but rather tells an application to run upon being plugged in, right?
    If this is the case, my question would then be: Is there any application/program that allows me to create an *.exe file that could be a menu of the drives contents. I need to create something of a presentation. The content of the drive would not change. I think portableapps.com has a program that acts as a suite, basically generating a menu of the contents listed within the suite.
    If I could create something like that, all Id have to do is create an autorun.inf file that tells the contentsmenu.exe file to run upon plugging in the usb drive.
    Any suggestions?
    and thank you very much everyone for your feedback and your time. I appreciate any assistance.

7. varxtis

varxtis Member

Does anyone here have programming knowledge or skills? If so please PM me. I need to know how to go about creating a menu app similar to that of portableapps.com Platform that acts as a menu to designated drive contents. If you are not a programmer but know of one that wouldnt mind a few questions, please help me by letting me know. Again, as always, your time and feedback are appreciated.

8. scum101

scum101 Guest

just write a batch file that loads from the (now being disabled because of malware) autorun.inf file.. very simple.. don't need a programmer.. but if you want to hire me I charge $320 plus tax per hour for freelance dev work...

9. varxtis

varxtis Member

thanks for the offer, but I don't have money to hire anyone. besides, its just a lil' project for personal use. thank you again.