How to increase internet speed?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by pool123, Aug 29, 2009.

1. pool123

pool123 Member

Hi I am looking for some advice really..

My home internet speeds are terrible. my exchange is out of date and not looking to do anything till 2011.

So what I was thinking is there a way to bypass my exchange and be able to connect to the internet and get some good speeds.

I basically wanna be able to download and upload files at great speeds but my current setup just wont have it. My exchanged is capped to a max upload speed of 0.35mb's and download is 6.5mb

Is there anything I can do?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

The answer is pretty much no.

If your local exchange can't provide you with service, how would you propose to bypass them? The wires run from your house to their exchange.

You can't bypass your local exchange unless you use point to point microwave (expensive and limited availability) or geostationary satellite (excessive delay).

Some options:

1) Pay more money for a higher grade of DSL (ex. Business class but you are still limited by distance to CO)

2) Switch to cable modem (typically faster than DSL)

3) Move closer to a Central office. (When I moved this is one of the things that I checked before I gave up on DSL and went with cable)

Sorry to ask, but what does your post have to do with dedicated servers?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a windows issue & edited title to better reflect the question at hand.

4. pool123

pool123 Member

basically I was wondering whethe buying a server would I be able to remote upload and download from the hosting servers? Is that a possbility?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you'll still have the same transfer speeds as you do now unless you pay for faster speeds.

6. dailun

dailun Active member

Your internet access speed will never be faster than the slowest link.

For almost all internet subscribers, that is the link between the serving central office (DSL only) and the endpoint (your house) In telecom this is referred to as "the last mile".

You could buy a server and put it in the exchange with an OC-48 (2.5Gb/s) optical link to the internet and you will still have the same problem because you cannot increase the speed in "the last mile" unless you choose to pay more, and even at that, if you are too far away from the CO, you may not be able to get top speed.

7. amjro

amjro Member

8. meera23

meera23 Guest

9. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i checked them links and found them useless.one told me to upgrade to cable which is impossible as i live in australia.it also said firefox is faster than internet explorer.well i was using a computer with a 28.8kbs modem and found that to be true but on a 56kbs modem internet explorer 8 seems to be faster than firefox so i totally disagree with what the site said.I think the only true way to speed up your internet is to upgrade your internet connection through your ISP.